The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

7 posts Page 1 of 1
5:2 Newbie
17 Jan 2013, 14:01
hello all,

I came across this forum thanks to a link on twitter from @DrMichaelMosely.

I was introduced to the 5:2 diet by my G.P. last Wednesday 9th Jan, she recommended that I try it out as my blood pressure is on the high side and as I am also roughly 1 stone overweight. I did some research on the internet and decided to give it a go :)

My "2" days are Monday & Thursday as due to my job I work strange hours/days so they work out best for me!

Im really looking forward to seeing a difference in my overall health.

My G.P. recommended that I try -

drink lots of water, plus tea/coffee
breakfast-porridge
lunch-as much fruit as I can handle (her words)
dinner- grilled chicken breast/salmon with veg

Today is my 3rd "2" day and all in all Im not finding it too difficult apart from some slight hunger pangs in the evening time! However as I try to walk at least 4km every day I really miss having something to eat after my walk.

Something that I haven't come across while researching tho is, in my porridge and coffee is it ok to be using fat free milk? I limit myself to 1 real coffee a day and might have 5/6 decaffs. Might be worth mentioning that I use a Nespresso coffee machine for most of these?

Looking forward to browsing the forum and especially reading some suggested recipes 8-)
Re: 5:2 Newbie
17 Jan 2013, 14:06
Welcome! I love my nespresso machine and can't imagine "2" days without it. I do think you're supposed to count the calories in your milk. Some people set aside an amount of milk they use in their tea all day long so they know how much they have used.

I have found that since I got my Nespresso machine, I'm able to enjoy black coffee for the firs time in my life. I was always a sugar and cream girl before. You might want to give it a shot just plain. I have been having lungo/large pours of the purple capsule - and I find it's delightful on its own. I use the bolder decaf too. Last night, for a real treat, I stirred in 1 tbsp of Ghirardelli's hot cocoa mix (about 35 calories).
17 Jan 2013, 14:08
Hi psychosax and welcome to the forums & the 5:2 way of life :)

It's fine to have fat free milk, you can have whatever you like - as long as it's under 500 calories in total for the day. The milk counts towards your calories too.

Be careful with the 'as much fruit as you can handle' thing as some fruits are quite high in cals - pears, grapes & bananas for example. Things like berries are great - you can have a whole punnet of strawberries or raspberries for very few cals indeed. Check out the resources forum here for some links to calorie counting sites which can help you work out your intake.

Many of us find it easier to save all our cals for a good sized dinner. I for one found that when I started it on 2 meals (lunch & dinner) I was ravenous immediately after my 250 cal lunch. I now go through until the evening without any calories and then have them all for dinner - though I do hold around 50 cals in reserve to allow for a low cal hot choc or cuppa soup in the afternoon if I feel I need it. The rest of the day I just drink water :)

If you're in need of a low cal snack and have a sweet tooth, I'd suggest something like some sugar-free jelly pots, they're quite filling and less than 10 cals each. Might be something to look forward to after your walk. You could push the boat out and have some raspberries with it :)
17 Jan 2013, 14:15
thanks for that, I dont take sugar but would have used a lot of milk before getting the Nespresso, now Im just using a tiny amount! just checked and acc to milk carton - "82 calories per 200ml serving" :oops:

was really worried that someone would reply that I would have to give up my daily 'Cosi' and Decaff 'Lungo'

Best thing so far about this method is that I am actually paying more attention to the amount of calories in everything I eat on my '5' days and cutting back!
17 Jan 2013, 14:20
Moogie wrote: Hi psychosax and welcome to the forums & the 5:2 way of life :)

Be careful with the 'as much fruit as you can handle' thing as some fruits are quite high in cals - pears, grapes & bananas for example. Things like berries are great - you can have a whole punnet of strawberries or raspberries for very few cals indeed.

If you're in need of a low cal snack and have a sweet tooth, I'd suggest something like some sugar-free jelly pots, they're quite filling and less than 10 cals each. Might be something to look forward to after your walk. You could push the boat out and have some raspberries with it :)

thanks you so much for that! alas pears, grapes and bananas along with apples are exactly what I have been having :(
17 Jan 2013, 14:41
Don't worry my dear, it's early days and there is time to adjust your fast day habits :) Just make sure you tot up your calories each day and keep it under 500. It's best to plan ahead, or you'll end up like I did when I did my first day, with less than 100 cals left for dinner and a very hungry tummy!

If you need any tips or ideas, just ask - everyone here is very helpful!
17 Jan 2013, 14:46
holy Jebus, 100 calories in a medium banana!!!! looks like its berries and more berries for me in the future :)
7 posts Page 1 of 1