The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

4 posts Page 1 of 1
5:2 and the pill?
07 Aug 2013, 12:37
Hi all,

I'm just wondering what experience people have of being on the pill (I myself am currently taking millinette) and the 5:2 diet? Is it still easy to lose weight despite the artificial hormones? Only every other diet I've tried whilst taking it seems to have failed miserably :dazed: (I am aware that will power is required also for dieting to work, but I found it a lot easier to lose weight when I wasn't on the pill compared to now that I am).

I also currently take Citalopram which as far as I'm aware from reading on here that doesn't help with weight loss either, but I've been on the pill waaaay longer than Citalopram so I'm not too worried about that one.

Re: 5:2 and the pill?
07 Aug 2013, 12:57
Hiya!
If you are taking the correct pill (in many cases it does take sometime to find it) then it will help you lose weight rather than gain.
Apart from contraception, the pill helps to balance your hormones which when they are unbalanced are causing distress to the body and aren't helping much with weight loss either.
07 Aug 2013, 13:32
I've had no problem losing weight while on the Pill through doing 5:2. I've been on the Pill for 16 years now and in the last 3 years have changed pill several times to find one which helped with weight loss. Instead I just ended up putting on more weight! Thankfully I've shifted it all now and am near my goal - but the Pill I'm currently on (Marvelon) apparently increases breast size in a lot of women, so I'm happy to report my boobs haven't shrunk as much as usual for the size I am now! Then again, that could be 5:2 making me lose weight from different places.

The only thing I've noticed is that my bleed is starting sooner into my Pill free week than it used to. I finish my pack on a Thursday and used to not bleed until the following Tuesday evening, usually continuing until Saturday (starting a new pack on the Friday). I've found them starting a little earlier each month and now begin sometime on a Sunday afternoon. Whether this a an age related thing, diet related or simply down to losing weight I can't say. It doesn't really bother me.

I've also found that my bleeds take me a bit unexpectedly, usually I'd have a particular crampy feeling just before it starts, but now I don't get that so it's always a bit of a surprise, especially with it starting earlier!
07 Aug 2013, 14:53
Hi :)

I wouldnt be too worried about the pill. But... I took Citalopram for a year and never attributed it to my weight gain, however I put on 40lbs over the course of the year without changing much else.
Since doing some research it seems very common to gain a lot of weight on Citalopram (obviously it differs per person) but i'd say anything you can do to counteract that gain is a good thing.

I put on that 40lbs within a few months and have the scars to prove it now :(

I stopped taking it 6 months ago and I have read that it's still difficult to lose the weight even up to a year after stopping it.

They don't tell you that when you start taking it, but I guess it's a known side effect of many anti anxiety/depression medication.

Good luck :)
4 posts Page 1 of 1