The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

10 posts Page 1 of 1
Cold Virus... Help
06 Nov 2013, 09:28
This is the first time I've been ill in at least 6 months. Yesterday I was at work and was squeaking at everyone as voice was on the way out. This morning I decided to stay at home as was up a lot in the night, and didn't feel strong enough to do it to be honest. Ibuprofen express has made me feel much better, but I think the caffeine in it has stopped me sleeping now. !
So do I fast ? I was planning to fast today. I'm actually craving toast. But usually only have bread at the weekend. And I'm at center parcs on Friday so maybe I need to forget about dieting until I get back.
Re: Cold Virus... Help
06 Nov 2013, 09:33
Obviously you can't be certain, but I think that fastng has helped me fight off colds.
06 Nov 2013, 09:34
Hope you feel better today, eat if you want to, don't eat if you don't feel like it. I always feel that a body fighting anything like this is using up a lot of energy and most of us come out the other end a bit lighter whatever we do. Just be comfortable and look after yourself, and here is a hug................. :heart: ............now get yourself off and have a nice hot drink,

Ballerina x :heart:
06 Nov 2013, 09:35
I had no problem fasting with a cold on Monday . Lemsip was my solution, but I decided not to skip breakfast yesterday or today as I often do, fasting hasn't seemed to make the cold any worse.
06 Nov 2013, 09:44
I fasted with a cold on Mon and will still have it when I fast tomorrow. As long as I am having plenty of hot drinks and keep warm, I'm not too worried.
06 Nov 2013, 10:48
Caroline I would be into the hot drinks. I have made in past either chicken broth and more lately veggie broth. Here is my kick a cold cure - squeeze whole lemon into a mug on top add I crushed clove of garlic, grated ginger 1 tspn and slight sprinkle of cayenne pepper, honey to taste and pour over boiling water. It's different to taste but the cayenne pepper seems to warm up your throat which is handy if sore. I have this toddy when I have a cold to sip

Feed a cold and starve a fever isn't it keep warm and rest as well
06 Nov 2013, 11:11
There seem to be very different approaches to this!
I'm of the listen-to-your-body school, and would have the toast, this is a WOL, and it has to be flexible and deal with what comes up. You'll get to your goal in the end, just a week slower than you would have done without the cold.
However, other people seem to fast happily through illness!

Whatever you decide, I hope you feel better soon! :heart:
06 Nov 2013, 12:05
Listen to your body - do you just fancy toast (might irritate your throat!) or do you feel your body is really asking for it? It's fine to skip your fast if you're not feeling well and you feel your body needs something in particular.

I've had a horrible cold/flu bug since Saturday - I've not been this poorly since my pre 5:2 days and I'm getting fed up now it's day 5! Am on the mend, and have kept at my fasting but changed my fasting foods to what my body wanted - protein. I've also been allowing myself lemon & honey drinks as and when needed without counting the cals - though I know they're about 15-20 cals each and I've probably had 5-6 on my fast in addition to my 500 cal dinner, I don't mind as they make me feel better for a while. Fasting today too as have a friend over for dinner & baking tomorrow.

Personally I don't have much appetite with this bug, although today I do feel a bit peckish, I don't feel like I desperately need anything.

So, do what you feel is right for your body and don't feel bad if that means not fasting until you're better.
06 Nov 2013, 12:27
Thanks everyone. Just had a lovely peaceful bubble bath with lavender oil in it. Not at all hungry. Will have some honey and lemon in a while, keep my fluids topped up, and maybe some soup. But essentially I'm going "suck it and see" as fasting whilst ill is new to me.
06 Nov 2013, 12:30
I've also got a cold had it for 1 week, am taking day/night tablets which help dry it up, also the night time tablets work really well and knock you out so you get a decent sleep :sleepy: . Get some toast and hope you feel better soon :like:
10 posts Page 1 of 1