The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

20 posts Page 1 of 2
Doc said to stop eating vegan
23 Sep 2013, 19:28
Well, after several tests, my doc not only has me off gluten, but he wants me to stop being vegan because apparently I'm not getting enough protein. He also upped my blood pressure medicine. Lord, I can't wait until this fat is gone and I feel well again.

Anyone go from vegan to meat eating? I'm not too concerned about my cholesterol rising, because although he took me off statins, I'm on niacin now. But curious, did your cholesterol shoot up?

Oh well, as long as doc's recommendations don't interfere with intermittent fasting, I'm open to all his advice.

P.S. I'm living proof there ARE fat vegans around. And I didn't live on junk food. But this gal sure loved to eat all the time.
Oh, he also told me to quit the massive amounts of tea I love to drink, as the tannic acid is a definite irritant (stomach problems). I drank black coffee this morning, and no problems whatsoever.

I guess I picked the wrong username! Is there any way to change it?
How do you feel about ovo-lacto veg? You'd get more protein eating some eggs and dairy.

I couldn't last as a vegan. I've tried it a couple of times but was really miserable. I was an ovo-lacto veg for over a decade and I still eat very little meat, compared to other Americans.

Is he telling you to go off tea completely? Or can you have one cup at teatime and make your name still be relevant? :-D
I went from raw vegan (80pct) to being a meat eater but hardly any dairy. I'm afraid I don't have bloods to compare to. I didn't find it hard but I had eaten meat before and i do feel more saited. i have also recently given up grains (but not 100pct). Before you take such a step, have you thought about trying pea protein shakes or even whey (vegetarian) protein and see how you feel?
It sounds to me like your doc doesn't know a lot about veganism, it would be much more helpful to tell you how to get more good plant based proteins into your diet! Personally I wouldn't start eating meat for anyone, but I would look at my diet and try to improve it.

How did he check your protein levels?
Thank you for the feedback. Nicky, a simple blood test determines protein deficiency.

I was tired and exhausted and suddenly developed nail ridges. The doc took one look at my nails and said he's testing for protein deficiency as well.

I had no idea nail ridges were one of the symptoms. He said they can be, but not always.

I've given this a lot of thought, and it's too much for me to avoid gluten and also stress over remaining vegetarian. Alternate day fasting, avoiding gluten and eating healthy will be enough for me. It's a big decision, but I know my limits. Right now my own health trumps saving the animals. I don't mean to sound snarky or cruel, but that's the way it has to be for me now.
Absolutely worry about yourself first! Don't worry about justifying things to strangers over the internet :-) I didn't mean to be pushy about the ovo-lacto either.

My mom says her stomach gets really upset if she eats any beef or pork. She was vegetarian for a long time (never vegan), and she's the only person I know personally who has ever had an issue to going from veg to eating meat.

If you're worried about your stomach adjusting, go slowly, start off with easier to digest things like small portions of fish.

Good luck!
How do you feel about fish? That would be a healthy option. And free-range chicken?
Also, did he test iron levels? Anemia can be an additional issue if fatigue is a problem. Of course any excuse to have a nice chicken liver pate is a good one in my book ;-)
Sounds like you have a lot going on. Not a vegan myself, but my daughter was vegetarian for years (until she went to college, and found very little to eat). She started eating fish, which agreed with her, and now eats poultry as well (also agrees with her). It seemed to help her to control her weight and still not eat red meat. Just a suggestion.
Good luck. I have been varying shade of vege but never completely vegan. I never trusted the people who told me to eat meat as I figured they were all on Atkins! Due to now having a carnivorous family, I find not eating meat too hard. I still can't bring myself to eat mammals. It's probably psychological but I can't get the taste back after all these years. Good luck on the journey to meat eating. At least it makes going out for dinner easier and there is much more choice.
Thanks for all your helpful responses. This forum truly has the nicest bunch of people I have ever come across on-line. Much appreciated.
I've been gluten free for about 5 years so just holler if you have any questions. It can be very challenging to get enough fiber without the "typical" grains so I recommend eating as much fiber as you can from other grains like Quinoa, Buckwheat, GF oats etc. Of course your fruits/vegies will have some as well.
Hi Teatime,

My cholesterol level is 7 and I do not take statins and I never will having seen what they have done to my husband but the thing is, I understand that for women over 50 there is ABSOLUTELY no benefit WHATSOEVER. My GP has never considered them for me because of this. Good luck with a new username, "Watertime" does not sound quite as quirky and we already have a 'coffeetime' on the forum, mmmm

Ballerina x :heart:
What about just going from vegan to regular veggie? Wouldn't that be a better compromise?

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/healthnu ... rotein.htm
20 posts Page 1 of 2