The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Fasting and low blood pressure
27 Jun 2014, 09:27
I had my BP done today. It was 98/70, as it was for a referral she checked my left arm (often higher) to see if it was higher as they prefer the top number between 100 & 140. That one was 91/65.
Could this be down to fasting yesterday? Does fasting affect blood pressure? What are the negatives to BP being low and what can I do to counteract it?
I'm wondering if this is why I kept getting confused yesterday :?:
I have tried to search but didn't come up with anything :confused:
Hi KarenM, what does your blood pressure usually run? My daughter is usually in that range normally, fasting doesn't seem to affect hers. However, some folks with hypertension report lowering of their b/p so it's possible. If your blood pressure is usually higher, the lower pressure could cause some symptoms.

Make sure you are staying well hydrated, dehydration can drop your b/p and make you feel lousy. Did they check your pressure after you stood up? Any dizziness or faint feelings? If no disconcerting symptoms, I probably wouldn't worry about it. You might want to get a home monitor and check it regularly to see what it's doing.

Hope you are having a good day. Phyl
Hi @mountainmyst, She just checked both arms when I was sat down. It's usually about 110/70, but last time they checked it was 120/80
I have been rather light headed and have been getting quite confused on fast days. I'm also yawning and sighing loads and loads (this used to happen when I got stressed or upset). But to be fair, I have got loads going on and I'm not particularly sleeping well, or I'm needing less sleep these days! :confused:
I was really struggling to talk (yes I know some will find that a relief) and OH got me a drink, which put me right. So dehydration is definitely a factor. I wonder why we need more fluids when fasting :?:
Someone else has suggested that I don't have enough salt in my diet due to lack of processed food. I'm going to try having a bit of marmite on some celery! I'm pretty sure that's got some good stuff in it as dietician recommended ka to have some.
I guess it's all just trial and error and I need to try a few more things! :clover:
Hi @Karenm I too get low blood pressure, but not as low as yours. My doctor always takes mine 3 times because he can't believe someone as overweight as I am can have the blood pressure I have. He regards it as healthy for me. He does believe that by the time I am a normal weight my BP may be in the worrying range, but to see what happens when I get there. In his eyes a low BP is better than a high one.

One thing I do, do is make sure I have enough salt in my diet, I use pink Himilayan sea salt for the micro nutrients and the flavour.
You could try some Bovril or stock cube as a drink midday or when you feel tired, it usually boosts me.
Julieathome wrote: You could try some Bovril or stock cube as a drink midday or when you feel tired, it usually boosts me.

Ty. I would like to have an oxo drink, but I associate it with my mum's diets when I was a nipper and can't get my head around it lol.
She used to decide she would lose weight and stop eating proper food. All she would eat was green apples, oxo in water and dry cream crackers. She would make herself ill and then go back to eating more than ever as dieting made her ill :frown: She's no better 30-35 years later!
I must stop using her as an excuse and will pop the kettle on. Is there something as a good alternative to crackers and does it have to be a meat oxo or will veg ones do?
Pink salt sounds good. Will need to search that one out :smile:
I just have the mug of bovril. Its rich and satisfying. I used to have it regularly when not trying to lose weight so I have no negative connotations to worry about. It doesn't have to be the beef OXO, try the different flavours to find what suit's you. A simple vegetable soup may do too (slimasoup?). Or some Miso soup as an alternative to stock or bouillon cubes. Its the salt you are after in as tasty but low calorie way to suit you.
7 posts Page 1 of 1