The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

3 posts Page 1 of 1
ME and the diet
17 Feb 2013, 18:32
hi, Mags here. My partner Clive and I have been on 5:2 for 6 months and now trying to maintain weight whilst still sticking to fast days. We've had such a good experience from all this that we've put together a little book (Feast and Fast diet) and are recruiting people all over the place who want to try a diet for health.

One of our friends wants to go on the 5:2 diet, but is recovering from ME. Given that there are body healing benefits from the 5:2, is there anything specific relating to ME or has anyone out there got any advice/help/experience to offer? We don't want to be suggesting anything that could be damaging to her recovery.

All the best to everyone out there who is starting on the diet - after 6 months, we can truly say that we feel great.
Re: ME and the diet
19 Feb 2013, 19:26
I used to suffer from fairly severe ME (had it for about 3 1/2 years) and I can't see anything about this diet which would be detrimental. I found when ill that I would sometimes pig out on things (a natural reaction to having no energy - eating in an attempt to feel more energetic!), yet other times I would eat very little.
I think this diet would actually assist someone with ME to avoid any bingeing and to help them feel in control of something for a change - particularly their eating, weight and hopefully general fitness too.
Re: ME and the diet
19 Feb 2013, 20:33
thank you for your response, Lemele. I'll feel more confident in talking to my friend about this now. My experience has been that the fasting can somehow 'reset' the body (my blood sugar seems much more balanced now), but didn't want to start recommending something to someone without some sense that it was going to be beneficial rather than detrimental. Anyone else out there who can help with my question?
3 posts Page 1 of 1