The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi folks, I haven't fasted since last Monday as I had a chest infection. It's mostly cleared up now, although I still have a rotten cold. Should I wait' til I'm fully recovered before I do another fast day or just go for it?
Feed a cold, starve a fever'. I would wait until you have recovered and give your immune system all the help it can get. You don't want the infection clawing it's way back.
I've just had a rotten cold too. I just fasted as normal (4:3 style). The way I see it, a normal cold is going to do its business whether you like it or not. I've never lost weight with a cold (in fact I usually put on weight because of all the comfort eating) so I don't think fighting it causes you to use an excessive amount of energy. I'm sure a relatively fit human being has the resources to cope with the cold virus even in a fasted state.

<fanciful thought> when we get really ill and we don't feel like eating, I wonder if that is the body enforcing a fast upon us? </fanciful thought>
Bumping this topic because I'm getting over a cold and tomorrow is my usually fast day. Any insights into whether to fast during/after minor illness?
When I've had a bit of a cold I carried on fasting with the thought that repair mode will help me get over it quicker and do you know what I think it did, can't prove it though as I don't know how bad the cold would of got without fasting
I am also getting over a very nasty virus which put me in hospital on a drip for severe dehydration for a couple of days, now I have a rotten cold and feel washed out. I have tried to fast on my usual fast days but haven't been able to stay with it so have decided to wait until I am fully recovered and then start with enthusiasm again.
i would suggest that you try to fast - if you feel like it. If it doesn't work out for you, then don't feel bad if you have to miss, or postpone, one or more fasts. There is always tomorrow or next week! In the grand, weight-loss, scheme of things it will only postpone your goal by a few days! Listen to your body and you will know what you need to do!
I agree with @StowegateResident. Try it and see - and listen to your body.

I was coming down with something a few weeks back and had the same dilemma. I attempted a fast, but ended up just doing a 'mini-fast' of around 1000 calories. I was happy with that and how it made me feel.
I have a feeling (nothing more that that) that fasting has helped fight off the odd cold before it has taken hold. I've now gone more than a year without a cold and believe that fasting has played a role in this.
9 posts Page 1 of 1