The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

8 posts Page 1 of 1
My husband and I live in Marietta, Georgia and first heard about the Fast Diet on the tv show Nightline. I bought the e-copy of the book (it hadn't even been released in print here yet!) and two days later we started the diet. My husband and I both would like to lose around 20-25 pounds. His weight has crept up over the last few years mainly because he spends his days in restaurants as a wine sales rep. My weight has been up and down since my early teens, generally within the same 30-40 pounds. My current weight issue is courtesy of my 9 month old baby girl. :smile: I also have a 3 1/2 year-old girl, but managed to lose the SEVENTY pounds I gained during that pregnancy about 4 months before I (surprisingly) got pregnant again. My husband has never really dieted and is slightly health knowledge challenged while I am, unfortunately, a dieting expert after years of trial and error. I have also dealt with acid reflux since I was 19 years old and take daily medication. In surfing around this board I've found very little info or testimonials about doing this diet while dealing with reflux issues. So here's my two cents :smile: :

While some people seem to love the eating only once a day thing, it made me feel awful! Reflux and about 20 hours of an empty stomach do not mix! I felt terrible that night after my one meal and for half of the next day. I have found that skipping breakfast is the easiest and least stomach churning way for me to approach it. I have a cup of coffee about two hours after waking, eat a breakfast-like meal between noon and 1 o'clock and then dinner between 6 and 7 o'clock. I have also found that including a whole grain carb in my first meal (slice of whole wheat toast or a whole wheat mini bagel) seems to be just enough to keep my stomach acids in check for the day. The day after a fast I also find I feel best if the first thing I eat is whole grain carb based.

We are currently on week 3 of the diet, having completed 5 fast days, and this is our progress so far:

Me: 4 pounds lost, 1 1/4 inches off my waist, 1 1/4 inches off my love handles; already having a noticeable decrease in overall appetite

My husband: 3 pounds lost, 1 inch off his waist; noticeable decrease in overall appetite

We are very enthusiastic and hoping to incorporate fasting into our lives long term. Wish us luck!
Welcome to the forums and I'm glad this seems to be working for you, despite your reflux! :-)
Hi
I am in my first week and today was my second fast day. They really aren't as bad as I thought they were going to be but I too suffer from reflux which has been quite bad this week. Think I will have to play around with eating times as I get the hang of it. Unfortunately I can't eat wheat as this is the main reflux trigger for me, everything I ate today set it off though. I will persevere tho!
Kulivie wrote: Hi
I am in my first week and today was my second fast day. They really aren't as bad as I thought they were going to be but I too suffer from reflux which has been quite bad this week. Think I will have to play around with eating times as I get the hang of it. Unfortunately I can't eat wheat as this is the main reflux trigger for me, everything I ate today set it off though. I will persevere tho!

I'm sorry that wheat does bad things to you! I love me some carbs. But that's probably part of why I'm on this diet now, huh? :grin: Could you do oatmeal or something like that? I've found that I just need a little bit of non-fruit/veg padding in my belly to keep my belly calm throughout the day. I've played around with eating times too, and I've found that noonish and 6:30ish are the best times for me to eat. It's sort of the 11 and 7 model that Dr. Moseley mentions in the book, so I get two big fasting periods (the night before and morning of the fast day and the time period after dinner and through the night until the next eating day).I've never been a big breakfast eater, so skipping breakfast is pretty easy for me. I have my usual cup of coffee about an hour or so after I take my morning tummy meds and that's it until lunch time. My little ones keep me pretty busy in the morning, too, so that's probably the easiest part of my fast day. I'm at the end of fast day 6 right now and I kinda want to gnaw my arm off, but I know the sensation will pass by morning. :confused: It really has gotten a lot easier, though. I had lots of upset stomach symptoms the first 3 or so fast days (and the next morning) but those symptoms seem to be subsiding. Hope you figure out what works best for you soon!
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Hope that you find a solution to the reflux problem. How about saving some calories for a small glass of milk at bedtime?

Best of luck. It does work and has become just a new way of eating for me. No going back!
Havn't had time to read all the replies, so this may have been suggested, but have you tried chamomile tea? Very soothing and relaxing on the stomach, and good for reflux. x
Thanks for the suggestion, but I HATE tea. I've tried to like it off and on my whole life, but never have. Very American of me, huh? :)
Hi and welcome. I also am taking meds as I have problems with acid reflux due to a couple of health problems. I take Lansoprazole and though I avoid spicey/acid food and drink I'm fine on the one meal a day. Perhaps a change of meds for you ? If not then experiment and do what feels best for you.
good luck
8 posts Page 1 of 1