The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello peeps!
I was watching a cooking show last night and they asked a dietician about the benefits of cauliflower. After his long list, he added that the only people who should avoid it are the ones with thyroid problems.
I don't eat it because I find it disgusting but since we have a few members here whose thyroids give them a hard time, I thought I should let you know.
Found no corroborating studies on PubMed about this so far, unless you count the rather extreme case of a woman eating 1.5 kg raw Bok Choi daily for months and going into a hypothyreotic state as evidence. (I would have become comatose from the effort alone) Fortunately, the fact that plants have some biological effects does not invariably mean that ingested they wreak havoc on the system.
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc0911005

I guess I'll continue with cauliflower (and broccoli and cabbage, which are also implicated) as before. I have a hard time believing that incidental ingestion of anything that is part of a varied diet has a harmful effect on a disease/treatment that does not respond quickly to changes (unlike diabetes or anti-coagulants).

Re hypothyroidism: soy milk seems to be another thing - but then again, everything in moderation seems to work fine for me.
Only if you eat huge amounts of it raw! Steam it , boil it, fry it (which although sounds a bit odd, is actually delicious, little florets deep fried golden brown, slathered with lemon juice!) and it removes the goitrogens. All (cooked) cruciferous veggies are fine for people with thyroid problems, even lightly steamed. Sweet potatoes , corn and yam also contain goitrogens, but it would be difficult to eat enough of any of these veggies raw to affect the thyroid. Eat your greens, they're good for you!! TML13, do you hear me? Put out that fag, stop eating those sweeties, and eat your veggies!! :smile:
All the lovely green veggies your supposed to avoid are my favourites. I have continued to eat them and can't say I've noticed anything untoward.
My bloods are monitored every 3 months and my nodules scanned every 6 months, and there hasn't been any significant change in either.
OMG!!! Cauliflower is my fave veggie, I eat it nearly every day! Thanks for posting that, I'll try and cut it down to maybe once a week or something. X
Tdstephens60 wrote: OMG!!! Cauliflower is my fave veggie, I eat it nearly every day! Thanks for posting that, I'll try and cut it down to maybe once a week or something. X

Perhaps as everybody else said there is no reason to worry if you don't eat very much of it. I don't like it so I don't worry about it but it seemed like useful information.
6 posts Page 1 of 1