The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Fasting when ill?
08 Apr 2013, 09:02
Hi Guys,

So this would be week number 3, fast 5. I could feel myself coming down with a cold yesterday and now i'm all sniffly (yuck).

Has anyone fasted through a cold? I just don't want to hinder my own recovery, even though it is just a cold, I've got my wedding dress fitting on Saturday and really don't want to be poorly for a day I'm meant to be really enjoying!
Re: Fasting when ill?
08 Apr 2013, 09:06
The best thing to do when you're poorly is to listen to your body. If your body wants food, you're better off rejigging your fasts or missing some if needed - your health has to come first.

Fortunately quite often with bugs we don't feel much like eating anyway, so fasting comes quite naturally on these occasions.

See how you feel, and don't be afraid to go a bit over cals if you do decide to fast but find yourself waning.

I had a cold/flu bug for about 10 days and fasted throughout. I don't think the fasting slowed down my recovery as my husband had the same bug for the same amount of time (probably worse symptoms than me actually) and doesn't fast.
Re: Fasting when ill?
08 Apr 2013, 19:24
I feel as though I have caught every cold doing the rounds since January when I started 5:2. I don't know if fasting has made me more susceptible or harder to fight the colds off but I was determinteed to carry on fasting so I did :smile:
3 posts Page 1 of 1