The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

5 posts Page 1 of 1
I KNEW IT!!!
28 Apr 2013, 09:43
Sorry - this isn't strictly about 5:2 but I know many forum members have thyroid problems and I saw this article on my thyroid support forum:

http://www.thyroidchange.org/5/post/201 ... ssion.html

They state : "The article also finds that patients taking thyroxine had DOUBLE the risk of non-RA arthritis." So my GP and the NHS Endocrinologist, who virtually laughed me out of their surgeries when I said I was convinced that that Hashimoto's thyroiditis was just the beginning of all my other 'itis' problems (agonising joint pain for starters), and that taking Thyroxine (the pharmaceutical cheap drug of choice) as replacement therapy was making things worse, are indeed the dangerous numbskulls I thought they were!

Apologies for the rant but the pills I have been swallowing for the past 30 years are responsible for the current appalling state of my health.

Furious and heartbroken but even more determined to take control and follow what I instinctively know to be right for me.
Re: I KNEW IT!!!
28 Apr 2013, 10:52
Is the problem thyroxine, or not enough thyroxine?
The hypothyroid patients were considered "adequately treated on thyroxine" and their results were compared to the answers of "healthy individuals."

Is "adequately treated on thyroxine" really adequate? Too many people treated for hypothyroidism are given enough thyroxine to bring their blood teat results back into the normal range, but not enough to deal with the symptoms of hypothyroidism.

Don't worry about the rant. Apparently it is a symptom of hypothyroidism... or being treated for hypothyroidism... I can't remember which.
28 Apr 2013, 16:14
I'm grateful to have an endorcrinologist that isn't just satisfied with the blood reports, she asks about and checks for all kinds of signs of hypo and hyper thyroid symptoms and will make minute adjustments to my medication. For instance i'm currently taking an extra half pill twice a week equaling a daily dose of 171.4285 mcg instead of bumping me up to the next size of 175 mcg or keeping me at the far to low dose of 150 mcg.

I'm very sensitive to adjustments in my medication and thankfully she is very sensitive to my needs and symptoms.
28 Apr 2013, 16:37
The need to rant is a side effect of any involvement with the medical profession! Put two of them together and you'll be lucky to get them to agree on what say it is!

Isn't part of the problem with hypothyroid probs down to the wide range of whats normal? Every year I go for a revue. Each time I end up seeing a different doctor and each year I'm told that I'm probably suffering from an underactive thyroid. Every year I'm told my bloods are within normal limits. I would really like to know if I'm at the edge of normal but when I ask I just get snide cracks about internet experts and no straight answer! Drives me mad!
28 Apr 2013, 16:46
miffy49 wrote: Every year I'm told my bloods are within normal limits. I would really like to know if I'm at the edge of normal but when I ask I just get snide cracks about internet experts and no straight answer! Drives me mad!

WoW! Not at all how my doctor's treat me or even my mother (I go with her to all her appointments). We see different doctors, in completely different health plans and every doctor we see shares all the reports. They explain the results and answer all our questions. Mom has even e-mailed a few of her doctors with information found on the internet and they have all responded positivly to the information. Are we fortunate or do all american doctors offer a two-way line of communication in health care?
5 posts Page 1 of 1