The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

29 posts Page 2 of 2
Shiskine wrote: Unfortunately I appear to be among the 10% for whom it never goes away ... :(

Yeah, me too. And I'm one of the lucky 5% of sarc patients who has it in their brain :(
Aren't we just the lucky ones?!
Does any autoimmune go away? Ever? I think that none does... :-(
TML13 wrote: Does any autoimmune go away? Ever? I think that none does... :-(

Not that I'm aware of ...
I have been on Prednisolone, Methotrexate and Celebrex for years and have really struggled with my weight. Several times over the years I managed to lose 10 kg only to put them back on.

I started 5:2 at the beginning of April and I have never felt better!!! I had lots of stomach problems because of the meds I take and couldn't live without heavy duty prescription stomach pills. But now for the first time in years I'm ok with over the counter ones ...
Congratulations Annette on starting the 5;2 - and feeling better!

It's a horrid feeling that you have to take meds to cope with the side effects of other meds - and then, maybe more meds to cope with those - and so on ad infinitum :cry:

Surely, losing some excess weight and trying to improve our general health can only help us. Good luck anyway.
What great news, Annette!

I was speaking with my awesomesauce doctor earlier this week, he's thrilled that my husband and I are doing 5:2, and he thinks it might even be able to help reduce inflammation etc. I'm certainly happy to be a guinea pig.

My husband is on about 10 mg/Pred per day, and has lost 3 kg in the past month. So it can be done!
Thanks Pammy and AussieNisi!!

My rheumatologist told me that she has two other patients following 5:2, both with great results as well. I'm sure it helps reduce inflammation as I am feeling so much better since I started.

Good luck to you!!
I am in remission from sarcoidosis for which I took pred, and since then take thyroxine for low thyroid and have Addison's disease for which I take hydrocortisone and fludrocortisone. Am now on week 4 of diet and losing weight but my fitness levels (never that good!) have dropped disastrously. Does anyone else have experience of this and will this improve as my body gets used to regime? Really want to carry on as this is the only diet which has worked for me...
My fitness levels are pretty crap ... the main thing I'm struggling with on 5:2 is insomnia on fasting days. Haven't seen a deterioration in fitness levels, though.
Hi
I have really bad asthma and have high doses of prednisolone for intermittent short periods when I have an attack. Previously when on the steroids I have gained 2 to 3 kgs and found this difficult to shift when back to normal. On steroids for the first time while doing the 5:2 and 'miracle' I'm maintaining weight loss. I'm thrilled, over the moon and can finally see my goal weight looming in the distance!
Ann
Jellibean wrote: On steroids for the first time while doing the 5:2 and 'miracle' I'm maintaining weight loss. I'm thrilled, over the moon and can finally see my goal weight looming in the distance!
Ann

That's very encouraging to hear! I am worried I'm going to end up on Pred again, and can't bear the thought of further weight gain *again* ...
Thanks for posts and well done all for losing weight on steroids! I know how difficult it having been on steroids for 25 years. This diet is a miracle, the only one that seems to be working and is sustainable. I have lost 9 pounds in 5 weeks and happily my fitness levels have returned to normal as my body has adjusted to routine. Result! Continuing good luck to all!
pogsmith wrote: Thanks for posts and well done all for losing weight on steroids! I know how difficult it having been on steroids for 25 years. This diet is a miracle, the only one that seems to be working and is sustainable. I have lost 9 pounds in 5 weeks and happily my fitness levels have returned to normal as my body has adjusted to routine. Result! Continuing good luck to all!

That's fantastic progress, pogsmith! My husband has been on Pred for years, too (although not as long as you), and he's lost nearly 5 kg in 6 weeks, so he's thrilled too. I'LL be thrilled if can lose enough to STOP SNORING.

:wink:
Hi, I'm new, hope you don't mind me coming in on this thread as it's very relevant! I am 5'2" and started the 5:2 6 weeks ago at 60kg with the hope of just going down to 55kg. 12 fast days later and I've only lost 2.5kgs. Which I was ok with but now I have taken a total of 4 prednisolone plus a steroid cream for my scalp this weekend and leapt up to 60.2kgs, meaning these 6 weeks have been for nothing. My diet has not been hugely unusual but I did have a slice of cheesecake yesterday (shocking!) I could cry, someone please tell me that this week will undo the badness of the steroids, I don't think I can face more weeks with no incentive. My DTEE is 1800 calories which I can be quite considerably under some days or a tiny bit over if there's a birthday or something and I choose to partake in liquid calories.
29 posts Page 2 of 2