The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

This is pretty personal but I am desperate and feeling very comfortable on this site considering everyone is so kind and generous in their support for each other.

First my story (I'll try to be brief)
In 2010 my partner and I decided to start a family. As I have very irregular periods, not at all unless on the pill (none on mini pill, Mirena or recently HRT). We found out IVF is our only option because I suffer hypothalamic amenorrhea, caused either by a pituitary adenoma (unlikely but I didn't get it checked because the other option seemed much more likely and I've had more MRIs than I can afford) or severe shock. I had a massive car accident in 2005 and have had severe and chronic pain ever since (I take meds for this and it does effect my estrogen levels too). I also had a large liver tumour removed in 2008 and a few serious spinal surgeries. My OB thinks shock is the likely cause too.
So, we did IVF and were eventually successful :) post birth my hormone levels dropped even lower - very low estrogen, no FSH or LH, low progesterone, I thought I had post natal depression but once started on HRT I became myself again. HRT is a must for me now which I really don't like because of the risk of osteoporosis and heart disease/sudden heart attack plus a host of other lovely illnesses. On the positive? I will never go through menopause because my levels are far below prepubescent let alone menopausal.
My question is, is anyone else here in the same boat? Has the diet helped? For some, gaining weight helps but for me it has made zero difference, in fact my levels were higher at BMI 19 than 25 after my baby. I really would love to have a natural cycle because I must admit I am scared that this will lead to premature death (gosh, how cold, sorry!) and also, it would be simply wonderful to have a natural pregnancy.
Anyone with any information or experience would be greatly welcomed. Thank you for listening to my long, boring medical stuff, I do appreciate it.
Getting writers cramp :grin: so off to bed and fast day tomorrow!
Hello Writerscramp
I can't offer any advice or information that would be helpful, sorry. Hopefully someone will have something that will help.
Thanks for sharing your remarkable story and glad you feel comfortable enough with us to tell us. Good luck
Hi,
I just started this 5:2 on April 1st. I've only lost a bit of weight so far. I did have a pituitary adenoma removed twenty years ago. Six years ago I began seeing an endocrinologist. I was never able to have kids. I am 43 and I don't have periods. I do take thyroid medicine and I did talk to my endocrinologist about doing this fasting plan. He said losing a few pounds would be good for me but that no diet plan was going to fix my pituitary problems. He said try the fast, it can't hurt. Right now I have what they call empty sella syndrome. Mostly I don't produce enough hormones except for prolactin which I produce too much. I think if you have a pituitary adenoma or empty sella syndrome your chance of the fast fixing things are slim to none. I will not see my endocrinologist again until December. In December I will be getting a whole slew of tests done before I see the doc. The proof will be in the tests or if I feel more energetic. Right now my biggest complaint is that I am always tired. That is why this way of eating appeals to me. I walk my dogs each day and that is about all the exercise I can muster. I hope this works for you. Take care!
Thanks for your reply DS, I'm the same. I have zero energy and require a lot of rest, I do have a pretty serious spinal injury so this doesn't help. I don't know if I have an adenoma but my prolactin is only just above normal. I will one day have the MRI but as the doctors said, unless it's causing problems to my sight etc, they wouldn't do anything anyway so I guess I thought what is the point? I have two new liver tumours (had one removed in 2008 which wiped me out for 12 months, the loss of enzymes = exhaustion which was worse than the pain etc immediately after) and have to have them monitored regularly, with MRIs on my back each year as well the cost is prohibitive and in some ways I think that looking only puts them at risk of finding something, if you know what I mean.
A friend of mine with a prolactanoma (sp?) recently did IVF and was successful so even with complete gonadotropic failure, pregnancy is still possible.
Thank you so much for your reply, I'd love to hear your test results if you are still about then, it would mean a lot to me. I'll let you know if my next hormone panel comes up any better. I have just been referred to an endocrinologist because my ob and GP don't feel that they have enough knowledge to make sure I'm getting all the right hormones.
Can I ask if you are on HRT? My thyroid is showing ok but I'm sure it's low. I'm hoping they can do some more in depth testing, the name of the more sensitive thyroid test escapes me right now.
Good luck on the diet - it's working for my partner and I :)
Wow girls that is big stuff you both have to deal with, I have only been on 5:2 for 2 months but there is something very special about it.
Getting in control of food, knowing what 500 cals looks like, that fast days are doable, seeing in print the results others are having. As well there will be your results
There are some ups and downs but just ask and you will get a plethora of replies. Go seeking around this forum
Oh and a lot of people mention that their energy levels are Improved, as a matter of fact by this tIme with previous diets I have usually nosedived due to lack of energy and none of that with 5:2
Wish you all the best :clover: There is lots of lovely support and encouragement here
5 posts Page 1 of 1