The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

2 posts Page 1 of 1
Fasting with Gout
06 Jun 2013, 04:06
Hi All,

My husband started 5 2 plan with me about 8 weeks ago. He was going very well, losing around 6 kgs. However, he has just had a flare up of gout. He has had this once before (about 6 or 7 years ago). So we sort of forgot about it. But now it has come back, we see that fasting is considered a no no for those susceptible to gout because it raises the level of uric acid (the cause of gout).

And he was doing so well! Anyone else had this issue and have they returned to 5 2 fasting or felt it was best to look at alternatives.

The sad thing is, we switched because of the potential long term health benefits; and other forms of slow weight loss (GOOD for gout sufferers) won't necessarily offer these.
Re: Fasting with Gout
06 Jun 2013, 04:24
Well, funnily enough I have had a swollen big toe in the last few weeks - haven't been tested for gout but plan to get it done - sounded like gout to me. I also looked up the fasting connection and it seemed to be that if u get dehydrated then the uric acid levels rise - so I am thinking that if I keep my water levels high (probably cut the caffeine too as that is a dehydrater)it should be OK - it has now gone down (the swollen painful big toe), so I'm not stressing over it. I'll let u know once I have been tested....BTW never had gout before...maybe something else.
2 posts Page 1 of 1