The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Citalopram and Weight Loss
14 Jul 2013, 12:42
Ive been taking the antidepressant Citalopram for about 12 years now. I never really thought about how it might affect weight loss but reading around forums has me a little worried though it is very 50/50 with many saying - no problem.

Anyone have any experience here of taking Citalopram and doing the fast diet?
Re: Citalopram and Weight Loss
14 Jul 2013, 13:28
I haven't seen any posts specifically mention Citalopram but you can look in the fasting with medical conditions portion of the forum or do a search using the "search forum & blogs" in the upper right corner. You may find this thread about mental health interesting viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5844&start=45.
Many of us with medical conditions have found success with 5:2, it may be a bit slower than others without health issues but it is working. Good luck. :)
14 Jul 2013, 16:00
Thanks Betsy, interesting thread, I guess there is no real definitive answer
14 Jul 2013, 22:48
Hi mikec,

I can't really answer your question, as I started 5:2 after I came off citolapram. All I can say is I put on a significant amount of weight (2+ stone) within a very short period of being on the medication (I was taking it for about a year, and put the weight on within 6 months or so). While I was on the antidepressants I tried calorie reduction, increased exercise, and a low-GI diet, all of which only produced very small amounts of weight loss, and which I found very hard to keep off.

What I can say in favour of 5:2 is that, even after coming off citolapram, my continued calorie reduction, increased exercise, etc., still didn't seem to have much effect shifting the weight I had gained while on the drug. It felt like I was stuck with the weight gain. But 5:2 is slowly but consistently taking the pounds off. So although this is all anecdotal (and not the answer you're looking for) I hope it is a sign that 5:2 could work for you.

Good luck!
15 Jul 2013, 10:14
Thanks Orchard.Interesting to hear your experiences, seems to vary so much for people
15 Jul 2013, 10:40
I think the proof of the pudding will be in the eating, if you pardon the expression on a 'diet' forum ;) It can't hurt to try - and then you can tell us all how it goes!
15 Jul 2013, 12:13
I am on Paroxetine/Seroxat and have noticed a massive ballooning weight wise. I put 3 stone on in as many months and have managed to lose 2 of them. I have noticed weight loss is slower on SSRI drugs.
7 posts Page 1 of 1