The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

14 posts Page 1 of 1
Wheat allergy?
26 Sep 2013, 22:59
After spotting a couple of posts on here and then reading some articles, I think I may have a problem with wheat. If I cut it out of my diet, how long will it take until I see a difference if it's the culprit? I have dermatitis IbS arthritis, migraines, and I've had my suspicions about wheat for a while. The fasting has highlighted it as I've eaten less bread, but have ended up running to the loo when I do!
Need to find out where wheat is hidden in foods.
Re: Wheat allergy?
26 Sep 2013, 23:28
Start label reading. Even the humble OXO has wheat in it, in fact its highest ingredient is wheat.

I went totally wheat and gluten free for 6 months and found relief with the IBS within 2 weeks, all of a sudden, and I mean sudden i was having 'normal' poo's and my body didn't know what to do with something that was firm ( i have the explosive decompression IBS with wheat) LOL.

If you are craving Pizza, try out the cauliflower pizza base,its sounds utterly horrid, but its tastier than normal pizza base and lower in calories.

For now, if you must have something to make a sandwich, go for the supermarket gluten free ones, Sainsbury's do a reasonable one, rather than trying to make your own. I found trying to make my own to be an expensive failure.

There is some thought that an intolerance, rather than full blown coeliacs (sp) can be controlled or healed in a way. A full 6 months gluten free is needed to allow the gut to heal, with plenty of good acidophylus to help the gut bugs reinhabit the inflammed regions, then a limited intoduction of small and infrequent amounts of wheat based foods.

The main problem with wheat is that most of us like it. Is isn't like carrots, that you could probably drop out of your diet and never even really miss, its a tasty part of your diet that you enjoy and that you don't like being forced to give up. Even though its yourself doing the forcing.
26 Sep 2013, 23:29
I think I may have a problem with wheat. If I cut it out of my diet, how long will it take until I see a difference if it's the culprit? I have dermatitis IbS arthritis, migraines, and I've had my suspicions about wheat for a while.
If you do find you have a problem with wheat, I've got a post with lots of links to GF recipes on my blog:

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/gluten-free-breads-and-baking.html

Plus I have quite a few GF recipes on there, also - just put 'Gluten free' in the search box.

I have seen lots of posters here and on the Mumsnet 5:2 diet threads reporting that their IBS symptoms are lessened whilst practicing IF.

Best wishes, B&W
27 Sep 2013, 03:40
I was diagnosed with Celiac's almost 5 years ago. My symptoms were all bowel related and they normalized within the first week. Quite shocking. What I have read indicates if I now ingest gluten it takes 6 weeks for my villi to heal and start absorbing nutrients again. Also, if you are going to be tested for Celiacs, they want you to ingest the equivalent of two pieces of toast a day for six weeks before the test.

Some on here have experienced "running to the loo" just as a random unexplained symptom of 5:2, especially the day after a fast. I too have experienced it...I just chalk it up to by body flushing what it doesn't need and good riddance:)

Gluten is easy to identify in breads..where it hides is in seasonings. Most soy sauce has wheat as the first ingredient (so use Braggs), barley malt is in a lot of seasonings and may be listed at "natural flavorings". Artificial flavorings are totally ok. While you have too avoid wheat barley and rye, you also have to use gluten free oats as the regular ones are often cross contaminated when grown or shipped.

Going gluten free can be very challenging, especially to ingest enough fiber...good luck and holler if I can add my cents on anything else:)
27 Sep 2013, 08:37
I was dx with IBS about 8/9 years ago. This seems to be one of the symptoms. I have thought I may have a problem with something I'm eating for a long time. ( Even silly things like sometimes my pee smells of weetabix, worry me.)
I'd like to give dairy a miss for a while too, but that ones a bit scary! Though it's only yoghurt, cheese and spreads I use (not including all the hidden dairy, my youngest had a severe allergy to milk proteins and was lactose intolerant, so I know about this one!) I now drink my coffee black and if I do drink it with milk, I feel sick or am sick! (Strange how yoghurt doesn't make me sick!)
Thankyou for your advice. I'm just waiting for gp to ring back and I'm on it! Should be easier starting today as it's fast day :-)
x
27 Sep 2013, 08:59
Everyone has give really good advice. I would just add that you really ought to get tested for coelic disease, it's a simple blood test. Coelic disease and an intolerance to wheat/gluten are very different things. My father has coelic disease and as golinda says it is very challenging - even ingesting a crumb off say a used butter knife can make him very ill, so gluten has to be excluded in it's entirety. However, as Julie mentions an intolerance can be helped by vastly reducing wheat but not necessarily totally excluding it to improve health. I know for myself that reducing the amount of refined carbs makes me feel so much better but I don't worry about things like stock cubes.
27 Sep 2013, 09:05
Karenm - have you discovered 'Mark's Daily Apple' on the net yet? Lots of info about grains and dairy, and even more about the Primal lifestyle.

Very illuminating, apparently well researched, and a large crowd of followers with success stories (so a bit like this forum!). Recommended.
27 Sep 2013, 09:33
I think I might be wheat intolerant too, but my main symptom hasn't been in my gut like some others here. Mine is arthritis. I started eating low carb a couple of years ago and the first thing I noticed was a reduction in the swelling around the joints of my hands. I think it probably is wheat that is the culprit, though when I started I cut out or cut down on all white starches (rice, potato, etc.). I think it's wheat that's the problem rather than gluten, because I often have oats which I believe has gluten.

There's a book called Wheat Belly, which I haven't read, which I think goes into this in more detail. Sorry, can't remember the author.
27 Sep 2013, 09:59
The arthritis symptom may be starting on me. I didn't think yesterday and had a full day of wheat. A baguette, for lunch then pasta for dinner followed by apple pie. So I woke up this morning with really sore elbows, wrists and knee's.
I really must take my own advice and cut right back again, or go gluten free for a month. I am out all day today, so I hope the need for the toilet won't happen till I'm back home.
27 Sep 2013, 11:08
Instead spoke to gp. He has said to have a coeliac test but he believes it will be negative.
Am considering getting one of those food allergy tests done. They do them in our health food shop. It will be interesting to see what they come up with. I am a bit worried that the test will show loads of stuff and not sure how reliable it is!
27 Sep 2013, 12:20
@ Pipsqueak - oats are gluten free, the problem is cross contamination by crop rotation (growing wheat etc. previously) but some suppliers do guarantee no gluten - Nairns make nice oatmeal, the same people who make the oatcakes. :smile:
27 Sep 2013, 21:30
Coincidently, I've just come across this on Mark's Daily Apple:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-grains-are-unhealthy/

Reading this you'll wonder how it is that any of us can tolerate wheat!
27 Sep 2013, 22:28
I read the 'Wheat belly ' book by Dr. Davis and it persuaded me to try and get off wheat if I could.
27 Sep 2013, 22:29
Breadandwine wrote: Coincidently, I've just come across this on Mark's Daily Apple:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-grains-are-unhealthy/

Reading this you'll wonder how it is that any of us can tolerate wheat!

The comments to this article are interesting.
14 posts Page 1 of 1