The FastDay Forum

Forum News & Announcements

14 posts Page 1 of 1
Regarding the Ad Banners
23 May 2014, 12:24
Big thanks to everyone for being patient with us during the transition to FastDay. Big thanks also to our fab tech/dev team for working hard to resolve the issues which have been spotted since the launch. We're getting there!

A few folks have mentioned the number of ads being displayed. Yes, it's true, we now display the same amount of ads to members as non-members but I hope you can understand that with all the new features on the site and the swanky new server the running costs have gone up and these have to be met somehow. Down the line we may be able to offer some kind of ad-free version for a very small annual fee or something along those lines but right now we're focussing on getting everything running as it should! If you'd be interested in that sort of option please do post your thoughts here as we'd love to get an idea of whether this might be popular as an alternative to ads.

We really don't want to annoy you with the ads and are doing our best to ensure that diet/weightloss related adverts aren't shown - again, this is going to take a bit of tinkering with the ad settings and once in a while if something of this nature should get through please do let us know and we'll endeavour to filter it out. We aren't here to promote the diet industry, indeed we intend to take it on and show people that you don't need to buy expensive meal replacements, potions and lotions to look and feel great!

If you're not keen on the ads I know there are some great free adblockers available online so you don't need to see the ads. Please remember though that the ads help us to cover the cost of running this site, so if the ads don't bother you too much maybe you could just try to ignore them and in doing so help us to keep the site funded?

Eventually we hope to get sponsorships from relevant and interesting brands (which is generally less intrusive) but this is something which is more easily done for an established brand/site and as we're just starting out under the FastDay name it may be a little while before we can arrange this and remove the current ad system.

Meanwhile, we've set up a way to monitor the ads performance so we can work out in the coming weeks which ones are most productive and which we can potentially get rid of - so please do be patient with us while we run this experiment, it's quite likely that some of the ads will be moved or even removed.

Ultimately, FastDay is about the community and we want everyone to be happy and involved in decisions where possible. We'll always listen to feedback and experiment with what works for everyone in terms of covering our costs as well as providing a good experience for the community.

So, if you've got ideas for alternatives to the ads, possible membership schemes (we do have some thoughts for this and other facilities for members, again this is early days!), which ads you find interesting, which annoy you etc please post your feedback or drop me a line so I can discuss it with the FastDay team.

EDIT:
Please see this topic if you'd like to help us weed out the ads we don't want to be seeing here :)

Thanks to Caro for the handy tip she posted further down. It's so good I thought I'd add it here :)
Did you know that you can adjust the kinds of ads you see?

First, at the top right of each ad is a little x symbol. Click on that and you can choose not to see that ad again and also send feedback as to why you don't like it.
Second, next to the x is a little triangle, click on that and it takes you to a page where you can adjust your ad settings via google to opt out of certain types of ads.

Doing this will not only improve the ads you see on here but throughout the web.
Re: Regarding the Ad Banners
24 May 2014, 15:37
A quick reply (before I get too frustrated) - yes I would certainly be willing to pay a subscription rather than put up with this level of ads
24 May 2014, 15:39
Okay, trying again. Yes I would pay a subscription rather than put up with this level and intensity of ads
24 May 2014, 17:41
I would happily pay a subscription to support the site.
24 May 2014, 17:58
Me too @Moogie
Is there a way to remain logged in as previously? I admit I haven't looked for it yet but every time I have come here since changeover (using my iPad & Safari) I have to email to get a password reset. Also when logging in I don't want to use Facebook to do it and the screen jumping up and down as I type my log in, presumably because I am not facebooking, is annoying.
24 May 2014, 23:46
I have restored my mac to it's default settings as the ad-blocker was draining my power. Anyway now the ads are well and truly back and in my face - is there a way to think about positioning them a little better please. For example where they sit on the blog pages is deeply offputting - right under the random post and between the recent blogs made me just come straight out of the blog landing page. Thank you.
25 May 2014, 09:07
I would happily pay a sub for this site

Ballerina x :heart:
25 May 2014, 11:37
Thanks for the explanation Moogie.
I too would be happy to pay a subscription to support the site however I'm not finding the ads too intrusive.
Don't know if my iPad's set up to block ads ( that's beyond me ) but I'm not really noticing them now apart from the ad between the 1st & 2nd posts & that's ok.
25 May 2014, 12:36
I too would be happy to pay a fee, and hate all advertising, but I'm not sure its the right way to go. It will mean some friends on here will chose not to pay, so will drop out of this community, and it does feed in some senses to the idea you have to pay to lose weight, which is something we generally against.

So I'm on the fence on this.
25 May 2014, 12:41
Yes, definitely, having to pay would stop many people from joining the site and we would all be the poorer for that. Let's keep it free, give Moogie and the team time to sort out the ads so that we can eliminate the more offensive ones.
26 May 2014, 05:07
Except for the add after the first post I tend not to see them. Perhaps this website is now optimum for my tablet? Personally I am loving the new site, layout, font, colours, etc. A big thank you to @Moogie and team.

PS I am thanking people less as it brings me to the top of the page. Minor squabble.
28 May 2014, 11:21
Did you know that you can adjust the kinds of ads you see?

First, at the top right of each ad is a little x symbol. Click on that and you can choose not to see that ad again and also send feedback as to why you don't like it.
Second, next to the x is a little triangle, click on that and it takes you to a page where you can adjust your ad settings via google to opt out of certain types of ads.

Doing this will not only improve the ads you see on here but throughout the web.
28 May 2014, 14:39
Thanks Caro, I didn't know that myself so that's really handy! I'll add it to the first post on this thread to hopefully help folks out :)
14 posts Page 1 of 1