The FastDay Forum

Forum News & Announcements

25 posts Page 1 of 2

Having read this & the Crossroads topic, what would you prefer?

The site under new ownership and potential for growth
31%
The site staying as it is, under my ownership, ticking over
69%
Close the site down
No votes
Total votes : 39

If you haven't already read the Crossroads topic, please do!
topic15307.html

I was updating The Boss today about the offers we have had for taking over the site. At the end I mentioned that in the worst case, rather than it vanishing completely, I could move it back to my server and let the site sort of run itself there, ticking over as it has been.

I shouldn't have been surprised when he emailed back and said that I'm welcome to have the site back. He really is a very decent chap. I felt guilty suggesting it, given that he bought the site from me, but that's not an issue to him - businesses are a risk.

So, here's the situation...

We have a couple of members who would like to organise some kind of member group to own/run the site.
We have a member who would like to take on the site and help restore it to its former standing - growing it and keeping it fresh and updated with new content.
Of the two options above, the latter seems like the better way to go, as a group can be hard to organise for this sort of thing.

Then, there is the option of the site coming back to me, and just keep ticking over really. I don't have the time or energy to push it to grow at the moment or in the foreseeable future, and I wouldn't be around a lot. Things would stay much as they are now, eventually moving the site to my server to keep costs down (current hosting is covered for another 8-9 months I believe).

As I said to The Boss, the decision is less about who takes it on and more about the needs of the community - the heart of FastDay. So, given the choice, which option would you prefer...

The site under new ownership and potential for growth?
Or the site staying as it is, under my ownership, ticking over?

EDIT:
As a couple of folks have expressed concerns over someone else taking the site and what their intentions are, I thought it might be helpful if I summarise a little of what they have said - which I hope they won't mind.

The potential new owners say they have the time and desire to spend on keeping things updated and fresh as well as responding to users quickly. They have experience with IF and nutrition. Naturally the aim would be to get the site making some money eventually. They have website management experience and some ideas for bringing in more traffic. They have also said they have what is needed to "keep this going as you would have liked it."

I'm genuinely touched by the concerns expressed by folks here regarding my health. I'd like to reassure you all that if I do end up holding on to the site myself, I won't allow it to affect my health - hence the letting it tick over as it is until such time as I feel able to work on it some more or when the mood takes me. Part of the problem I think has been with this being a job, with set hours and the pressure that comes from that and juggling it with my main job. Doing it on an as-and-when basis as a hobby and with no pressure to have it make money (I have hosting I pay for anyway for my other sites, so FD shouldn't stretch the finances at all), no obligation to maintain a company image etc would be far less stressful. However, it would mean the site is unlikely to see much growth in the short term. There would still be the option down the line of me passing it on to someone else, or for members of the community to add their own content to the site to help it stay fresh.

The company has said I have 'first dibs' on the site if I'd like it back, but it matters to me what the community wants. If growth and a plan for the future is important to you all at this stage then I can't offer that right now.
@moogie this all sounds very hopeful to me!
I think the latter option wd be better..Mainly coz yr good health is more important than any forum...and if someone else takes over the reins,surely you could then relax and focus on getting yrslef well again? X
Sounds really good! If someone is available to take over and put in some energy that would surely be the way to go. I'm pretty sure that those who were willing to 'give a hand' (I'm one of them) will still be available if the new owner needs some support (either in time or in a small financial contribution, but that would be up to her/him).
I thought this was tough. Like the majority I decided that the number one option was probably best as it means the site will live on and it takes the pressure off @Moogie, giving her time to devote to her health problems. However I think the gentle helpful way she has run things has created the vibe that we all like so much . I sincerely hope you will still be around and maybe be able to take more part in the discussions, as your health issues allow, if not worrying about the technical side of things.I also hope that if ,as seems likely, number 1 prevails you will not see it as a rejection but as an expression of our concern for you. I am relieved to see that option 3 doesn't seem to be getting much of a look in.
Retype, as my last attempt vanished.

Reluctantly, option One. I am apprehensive that a new person may destroy what I love about the site in pursuit of "innovation" - I am old and cynical. But Moogie must get away from it.
Thanks everyone for your thoughts so far. I'll admit I'm apprehensive about anyone else running the site, as at least if it came back to me I know it can stay on my server forever. I still hope to recover one day and be back to normal, though it may be a pie in the sky notion. The company kindly says the decision is up to me, that I have 'first dibs', but I want to get a feel for what the community wants - growth or staying the same for now at least (while I try to get better). If growth is what is wanted, I can't do that in the short term. Will let the poll run a while and hope it will help the right decision.
@MoogieAs I've indicated I went for number one but was very torn. If ,as you seem to be saying, you would like to keep hold of your 'baby' I would support you all the way. I just worry that the day to day problems eg with logging on, would still be directed at you which might be stressful when you don't need it.
Hi @Moogie

I share the concerns and feelings of barbarita and Lil.

It would be useful to have some Information on the person willing to take the site on - what are their quals and what are their plans for " growing it and restoring it to its former standing", eg what is likely to change about the site?

Thanks. :smile:
Hi @Sassy1 - I've added some info to the first post about what the potential new owner has said. I don't know what they plan on changing beyond adding new content to the site & promoting it more but will raise it with them in my next contact with them as I too would like to know a bit more about their plans :)

Sassy1 wrote: I share the concerns and feelings of barbarita and Lil.

It would be useful to have some Information on the person willing to take the site on - what are their quals and what are their plans for " growing it and restoring it to its former standing", eg what is likely to change about the site?

Thanks. :smile:
Hi @moogie, I too went for number one, thinking that's what you wanted and what would be best for you at this time. However, I am worried whoever takes it on: A) grows it so big it become like all the other sites (so busy you can't keep up) or B) Can't grow it enough for their liking and close it anyway with no emotional connection to us or the forum. At least if it stays with you (with possible growth when your health improves) we can all stay in touch. We have such an amazing support group here, ok there's not loads of us at the mo, but most of us have been friends for the past 3 years. So, I would like to change my vote to option 2. I hate the thought of this place not being here. You did a wonderful thing for us and changed us in a way we won't forget. It would be such a shame too if all the info on this site was to be lost,, who knows how many more people it will help/change/save in the coming years. Thank you from the bottom of my heart Moogie, you and the lovely forum folk really saved me. xxx Wishing you better health, less stress and happiness xxx
Me again@Moogie! Like @justdee I went for number one thinking that was your preferred option. I'm now getting the feeling you really want to keep the site which would be lovely.If that is the case I would also like to change my vote from option 1 to option 2 ( if that is possible)
Hi @Moogie, as many others, I was also under the impression that you would feel hugely relieved if someone else would take the opportunity to continue the site. If that is still the case, you know my opinion, if not it would be basically up to you to look deep down in your heart and see what would be best (for you, in the first place). In any option I would be willing to see what I can contribute.
Perhaps it's the headspace I'm in but I would be happy to keep the site as is, see no need for growth and innovation, as long it's not too much work for you @Moogie. It works beautifully at the moment and I would be happy to make a contribution. Your health is most important.
Thanks for the extra info @Moogie.

I echo the recent sentiments of others who feel it should be your choice as to what happens.

I voted for you to keep the site, partly as I had the advantage of other communication with you on this issue, and also because of concern about what new owners might do. Sounds like they will be okay, but I still feel the decision as to who hosts the site should be up to you.
Please may I also change my vote to you keeping this site @Moogie, I'd feel safer with you, but only as long as you are happy and healthy to keep it.
Basically we all love you and each too much to go elsewhere X
:heart: :clover: :like:
25 posts Page 1 of 2