The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Fasting while studying...
26 Jul 2015, 19:13
Hi all

I have dabbled in 5:2 in the past, and I plan to start 4:3 tomorrow. I eat fish, but not meat and generally eat quite healthily, just too much!

The time has come where I just have to do something about the extra weight I have put on over the last 3 or so years of study due to too many snacks and too little exercise. I'm a full time student, in the final year of writing up my PhD. This ties me to the desk for hours every day :geek: I do get up and move about, my Jawbone reminds me if I spend longer than 30 mins sitting, but it's just not enough. I used to run for fitness, but I have a dodgy knee now, so that's out. I have a 'strider' in my living room, which is great, I can use that whatever the weather. I do 15 mins of yoga every morning to help keep my back flexible. I have a dog, who has not had enough walks recently, so I plan to fit in a 20 minute walk every day with her.

I work on Mondays, and have often fasted on that work day, so I know I can do that. Where I think I will struggle is on days when I am at home and studying. It's all too easy to nip down to the kitchen when I get stuck with writing... So I'm hoping for some support, tips and ideas here!

I generally study in 25 minute blocks, with 5 minute breaks. So here are a few alternatives to snacks I hope might motivate me to stay on target and beat the hunger pangs/comfort food cravings:
    - 5 mins on the strider
    - Play with the dog for 5 mins
    - Drink a glass of water
    - Oh, and maybe have a browse on here for motivation/inspiration :grin:

Any other suggestions would be most welcome. And if there are any other students writing theses or dissertations out there, whilst fasting, let me know, perhaps we can support each other.
Fasting while studying...
26 Jul 2015, 20:05
Hi all

I've dabbled in 5:2 and plan to start 4:3 from tomorrow. I have put on more than 10 kilos since starting my PhD over three years ago, and now I have to do something about it. I sit for many hours a day, which is unavoidable at this point in the writing up process :geek: I used to run, but can't now due to a dodgy knee. I have a strider in my living room, which I can use whatever the weather, though haven't been doing much with it recently. I also have an active but underwalked dog, who I plan to make very happy by taking out for 20 minutes a day, Tuesday - Saturday. I work Mondays and find that I can fast relatively easily on that day as I am busy.

The struggle comes when I am home studying. I eat out of boredom, frustration (with my writing) and for comfort. I am planning to use a few strategies to help deal with this: taking a walk, playing with the dog; drinking a glass of water (love slimline tonic!). However, this will not be enough, so I'm looking for support and ideas here, especially from others who may be writing, working from home or studying. Hopefully I will be able to offer support to others, too.

All suggestions gratefully accepted! :grin:
Re: Fasting while studying...
27 Jul 2015, 01:31
welcome to the forums! I merged your two posts - feel free to delete or edit one if you would like.

I think that the glass of water and/or playing with the dog sounds like a great way to distract yourself. I try them both myself :-)
27 Jul 2015, 01:59
I find anything that requires mental concentration difficult to do while fasting. Your ideas sound good. I can't think of anything to add. Good luck!

oh. i thought of one thing. maybe if you have "easier" things to write: figure legends, methods, etc. or have figures to make, you can save those for a fast day. I find that kind of tedious, but less mentally challenging work easier on fast days. In fact, I can get so lost in power point that I forget to eat even on a non-fast day!
27 Jul 2015, 07:29
I don't think I could fast and study. Where's the chocolate? Well done you.
28 Jul 2015, 11:39
Thanks for merging my posts, Tracieknits, I thought I'd lost the first one. At least I appear consistent :)

Fast went well yesterday, I'm studying and not fasting today. Tomorrow is the first fast and study day, and I like the idea of working on routine stuff. I think I'll try to do two "golden hours" of writing first thing, then work on my references and diagrams. Great idea, thanks, MaryAnn!
28 Jul 2015, 12:25
Hi @cwarrier, glad to hear your fast went well. :)

I recollect often looking for distraction when undertaking the more tedious aspects associated with research when using the computer!! Your ideas are good. :) I can't think of anything too inspiring... I used to alternate between tea and coffee to keep me going. Now I would add the vast array of herbal teas to that mix. And maybe a dissolved oxo cube, or miso soup. On non-fast days, fill yourself with whole foods at meal times, so hunger is hopefully not an issue. Perhaps do a small household chore as a break?? Double bonus there!!

Best wishes for finalizing your thesis! :)
07 Aug 2015, 12:12
Thanks all for the support, especially the stock/bouillon recommendation.
Second Friday, i.e. end of week two. Fasted Wednesday AND sent off a second draft of a chapter, but feeling much less motivated today on all counts :neutral: . Here are a few things I've found useful so far:
BBC Good Food website: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/52
This has a collection of recipes all under 250, but you can also access them from the main site, there is a sliding scale for how many calories. So I put ingredients into the search box, set the scale and see what comes up. Also using http://www.myfitnesspal.com to count calories, much easier on the big screen than my iPhone, I have to say.
Best discovery so far? Vegetable bouillon: http://www.marigoldhealthfoods.com/. Just trying the standard one for now.

Right, back to the books... :geek:
8 posts Page 1 of 1