The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Old newbie comes out of hiding
03 Jan 2016, 23:55
Hello
My NY resolution was to join this forum. I confess that I have been lurking here almost daily since April 2013! Time to come out of hiding. :-D

My name is Merry, and I am another Melbourne-ite. In 2016 I will be turning 60, so that event is motivation for me to keep on track this year.

My 5:2 journey so far: I am a short people tent candidate, at just 5ft tall. I started 5:2 in April 2013 at 116lbs, and reached my goal of 100lbs in 6 months. I did standard 5:2 - with just small lunch and then dinner. I maintained around 100 - 102lbs by still do 5:2 - but having a few more treats. Around mid 2015 I fell off the wagon a bit, and after this silly season I am up to 106lbs. And it shows! Tight and lumpy clothes.

My resolution in joining the forum is take part in conversations, and be accountable through my tracker so that I can reach 60 in better shape.

I have really enjoyed reading all your posts and following your journeys. This forum has given me so much support and good ideas, which has been so helpful. 5:2 forever!

May 2016 bring you all happy 5:2ing!
cheers
Merry
P.S. Could someone help me with how to load an avatar? I have some 100x100 images on my PC that I could use, but can't see how to load an image from my PC. Thanks!!
Hi old newbie,I to joined this forum last year but did not keep up the 5.2, found it very hard with my very physical work,I do domestic cleaning,hope I can hear back from others that do physical work and are able to fast. All the best to you and me.
Finally, you made it, @MerryMelb. You have been fasting the same time that I have. Glad you finally got here to post and not just lurk. Also welcome to @Newgirl. I agree it would be hard to fast and do physical work. On the other hand it's hard to fast when you are not working too, because you hang around the house, thinking about food. I guess high protein snacks is the go for managing keeping your energy up.
Hi and welcome. So glad you came out of the lurkers corner. Somewhere on this site are instructions to load an avatar. @candicemarie is an expert at this, but I use photobucket to load my photo's and you select the img option to copy and paste into your message (you put it in between the img tab a little like tagging). Sorry that is a dreadful set of instructions. Maybe someone else can do better!
Hi @Newgirl
I agree with Sallyo that is can sometimes be easier to fast on a working day, as you can keep distracted from food.

If you are doing physical work, maybe be a bit kind to yourself when you get started - and allow 600 cals rather than 500? Gradually work your way down to 500 cal. I'm not sure what others would say about this idea? :?:
It can also help to have 3 small meals each day - especially when you are starting out on 5:2. I find a small serve of porridge (made with oats and water) with some berries gives me a good start to the day.
In the Food section of this forum there are snack ideas. I use a powered Miso soup as a snack - just mix with boiling water. Helps to stop the hunger pangs. Throw some cooked prawns in if you want to add some more substance. Recently I have become a big fan of cottage cheese - it is low cal, and high protein which helps keep you going. I spoon it over veggies, add it to porridge or eggs, or just eat it! Vegetable curries are also great at filling you up and giving an energy boost - like this one: https://www.fastday.com/recipe/skinny-sweet-potato-and-aubergine-curry/
Drinking lots of water during the day helps - as well as tea and coffee if you like.

Good luck Newgirl!
]Hi @Merrymelb welcome from me too! Here are the instructions to load your avatar
https://forum.fastday.com/post57751.html?hilit=Avatar%20how%20to%20load#p57751
@Newgirl, my fave "snack" for light days is a hardboiled egg; I dip it in a seasoning salt (Jane's Krazy Mixed-Up Salt).
Hi and welcome to both of you :-)

At first I found it very difficult to fast and do physical work. But it does get easier with time. My husband goes on runs while fasting and finds it helps him suppress his appetite.

Also, you are allowed 25% of your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) on a fast day, or 500 calories if you are female (600 for a man), whichever is higher. So if you are very active and also heavier, then you would definitely be allowed more than 500 calories. There's a way to calculate TDEE in your tacker. :-)
Hello, i just found this site today and joined today. i started hearing about IF recently and have been doing research on it the last month. It makes awesome sense to me and i have recently started. im surprised that i am able to fast and feel pretty dern good. im using some supplements like magnesium and potassium. anyway, im hopeful that this is what i have been needing and looking for in regards to weight loss and health.
cindyw
9 posts Page 1 of 1