The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi,
I am trying to lose around 30kg in total, ideally around 15-20kg of that before September (wishful thinking I know!)
I am female, 23 and 5'7. My TDEE is 2106 and BMR 1842.
I don't want to eat over 2000 calories a day (because that's a lot when you're eating healthily) but I also don't want to eat too few, while still maintaining enough of a deficit to lose around 1kg a week. Because of this I estimated between 1500-1600 would be a good number to stick to each day aswell as x2 fast days a week.

But I'm curious, do you eat your full TDEE on eating days? Or fewer? And what sort of weight loss do you achieve? Understand it's different for each person, but am curious!

Thank you :)
https://www.fastday.com/how-it-works/fr ... questions/

Hi here is a link to some frequently asked questions.
Some folks will manage to lose weight eating right up to their TDEE and others will have to go under. It's a test it out and see I'm afraid as you rightly point out we are all different.
From my experience, with eating more proteins and fats I tend to crave less sugars (in whatever form ) a lot less, eg bread, chocolate etc.
Also with continued fasting you learn real hunger and can ignore that noisy hunger monster when your tummy gurgles for something to do.
It's all a learning process and I don't know where I'd be now if it wasnt for learning how my body copes with different foods at different times of the fasting week.
If you go on "My Tracker" at the top and answer a few questions about yourself, it gives you a rough estimate of your daily calorific allowance. Personally, I following Slimming World on my days' off (because I've already lost 1 stone 7lbs with them) so I don't get hett up over calorie counting the whole time.
Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about your days' off. Otherwise you'll be on one big diet. Just don't got mad on your non-fast days - that's the best approach!!
Good luck!
Bean xx
Hi :)

I'm only on week 3 and certainly not an expert ( 6 fasts so far on the 5:2) and I have lost 4lb so far. I have been eating between 1400-1800 on my days off but I'm still allowing myself to eat normally - such as my Saturday night takeaway - so it doesn't feel like a diet (I did go over 2000 calories last Saturday as OH ordered a Dominos, eek). Also, since starting 5:2 at the beginning of April, I've started drinking so much more water and found that this fills me up even on non-fast days so I am just naturally eating less anyway and I've actually struggled to reach the 1400 calories on some days. I've also been eating 550-600 calories on my fast days but I notice most people only allow 500.

I know others have said not to calorie count on days off but maybe do so for the first couple of weeks just to see what's best for you. I always track my food in MyFitnessPal app anyway as I have IBS so it helps me figure out why my stomachs playing up. But like Nursebean said, the tracker on this website is really useful.

Like the other replies have said, you just need to learn what is best for your body. Maybe start on the higher level of calories and see how you get on? Then if its not working, lower it. I suppose it would depend on how active you are too.

Good luck :clover:
Welcome maddy23!

I haven't eaten anywhere near my supposed TDEE with any consistency in the last three years. Well under it most of the time especially if exercise is added to it (which I don't count). TDEE is a scientific concept - interesting but nearly useless because it can't easily be measured and because it varies as much as 50% from day to day.

Keep to the fast day limit but otherwise eat to being comfortable and stop.

Losing 20kg is 5 months is do-able (having done it) but will likely take ADF and a fair amount of conviction to succeed.
5 posts Page 1 of 1