The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet Recipes

10 posts Page 1 of 1
Soup
08 Feb 2013, 22:44
Imagine you have counted your calories, and you plan to have (say) chicken, rice and vegetables for your evening meal, accompanied by a glass of water. How do you eat your limited fast-day fare, to get the most hunger-satisfying results?

I remember reading a few years ago that a blended soup is the most filling way of consuming a fixed quantity of solid food and liquid. I probably only remember this because I have always found a good hearty soup to be very satisfying, so I tend to agree. I can't find the original research article now, without access to the online university library that I used to use (and I can't even remember who wrote it), but the BBC did a small demonstration study for a television programme, and found the same results: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8068733.stm

After an abandoned 5:2 attempt in the summer - which I am treating as an experiment to find out what didn't work for me! - my current 5:2 fasting plan has settled down into a 22-hour complete fast (allowing black tea, green tea, herbal tea, espresso and a maximum of one mug of vegetable bouillon), followed by a big bowl of homemade vegetable soup in the evening (typically well under 200 calories), followed by a further 18-hour fast (teas and espresso) before having something nice for lunch.

Obviously, not everyone will want to fast on less than 200 calories in a 42-hour period, and I'm not posting this to promote that approach. But I do find that converting ingredients into soup is a good way of making the food seem somehow more satisfying than it deserves to be, given the constituent parts, so I thought that the soup theory might be worth applying to the 500/600 calorie limit, if people are finding that they are getting hungrier than they would like.

The only problem with fasting in this way is that it sounds as though it might be monotonous. But if you don't eat soup the rest of the week, and if you vary the ingredients you use to make sure that each batch of soup tastes individually distinctive, you could probably devise a different soup every fast day for months or years on end. Certainly I'm not bored with it yet, and I normally never eat the same thing two days running or even twice in the same month! Actually, it is proving to be quite satisfying, and a lovely hot soup is very comforting to eat when you have been fasting all day.

Have any of you experimented with this and, if so, what have you found?
Re: Soup
08 Feb 2013, 22:53
I think I saw that program (or one very similar).

They gave 2 groups of soldiers the same meal, one group ate it as a proper meal with a glass of water and the other group at the same meal and drink turned into a soup. The group that had the soup felt fuller for longer.

I think it was something to do with the water passing through your system quicker as it is thinner than the soup, and so leaving less volume in your stomach.

Or something like that... :)
08 Feb 2013, 23:00
I think this might be the rationale behind Krista Varady's study published last month where they had people doing ADF with a liquid meal replacement on fast days compared with food-based fast days.

Same for Michelle Harvie's breast cancer 5:2 study.

Jemima, interesting theory...I read that when food hits a spot in the small intestine it triggers satiety (can't remember exactly where but not the first part of the intestine), if soup passes through the stomach quicker it probably reaches that point quicker.
09 Feb 2013, 07:23
a big bowl of homemade vegetable soup in the evening (typically well under 200 calories)

Another great tip from this forum, thank you. A big bowl of soup an be quite calorific though - I just looked at some (not-home-made, sorry) Pea & Ham soup in our fridge and the whole thing would be 540 of the pesky critters, which seems a lot and leaves even us blokes with virtually no scope for having anything else! A half-bowl would be fine, but wouldn't fill up the corners. So I guess it comes down to what goes into the soup. What (tasty) ingredients give the highest satiety:calorie ratio?
09 Feb 2013, 07:39
In another thread (can't remember which one), I have already posted this link to recipes for soup at fewer than 200 calories:
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/reci ... orie-soup/

I wouldn't choose a "bought" soup for this, though. If you make your own then you know what goes into it. Pea and ham soup is probably quite fatty and carby, hence the high calorie of your example, dominic. Bought soup can also be very salty.

I use whatever vegetables need to be used up in the fridge! A small amount of starchy vegetable helps hold it together when you blend it, but too much starchy vegetable wouldn't be good because of the carbs and glyaemic load. Herbs and spices make it a bit more interesting than it might otherwise be. For the sake of avoiding monotony, I tend to keep mostly to one main ingredient or flavour group per soup, so that they don't all end up tasting the same.
09 Feb 2013, 09:23
I'm not sure this topic fits in Nerdy Stuff...would though mind if I moved it to Recipes? Or FAQ?
09 Feb 2013, 09:43
Good idea, will be my first contribution to the Recipes Board!
09 Feb 2013, 13:15
When buying soup the calorific value varies a lot. I'm fasting tomorrow and I've bought some carrot and coriander soup which is 156 calories for 600g and should hopefully keep me going through the day until dinner. I made some soup last week and although it was thick I didn't find it very filling.
09 Feb 2013, 15:06
Ember wrote: I have already posted this link to recipes for soup at fewer than 200 calories:
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/reci ... orie-soup/

:idea: There's also a good selection on Good Housecleaning's website at http://www.goodhousekeeping.co.uk/search/?q=Low-calorie+soup.

For instance,
http://www.goodhousekeeping.co.uk/food/pepper-and-lentil-soup at 108 cal
http://www.goodhousekeeping.co.uk/food/recipes/roasted-red-pepper-tomato-soup at 67 cal
09 Feb 2013, 16:02
carorees wrote: I'm not sure this topic fits in Nerdy Stuff...would though mind if I moved it to Recipes? Or FAQ?

I really don't mind where you put it. But personally, I wouldn't look in the Recipes section if I wanted a link to an article describing how retaining food in the stomach for longer (by blending the food constituents into soup) inhibits the production of ghrelin, thereby reducing appetite and preventing certain fat storage mechanisms from kicking in. :-)
10 posts Page 1 of 1