The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

18 posts Page 1 of 2
Its nice to see stuff pulled together in one article.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... n=20130712
Very interesting! I heard something a while ago that has really stuck with me........ If your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize something as food then it's probably highly processed and not very good for you! Considering my great grandmother lived to 101 it would probably be a good idea to take that suggestion on board when deciding what to put in my mouth!
Yep, all my biological grandparents lived till they were in there 90's at least apart from one who died from lung cancer aged 35. They ate simply, always with 'proper' butter etc.
Love the little nod to IF in there too!!!
The whole grain one was new to me (leaving aside the gluten issue for the moment) and I'm rather taken aback. Whole wheat bread and pasta not good? Oh!
That was Michael Pollan who said that about grandmothers. He is an excellent writer on food. The Omnivore's Dilemma is fantastic. I always forget the name of the book where he says that about grandmothers. He has a few simple rules: eat food, less of it, mainly vegetables and fruit.
An interesting article, thanks Julie! Wholeheartedly agree about eating real food that hasn't been chemically enhanced to within an inch of its life!
That Michael Pollan book is called 'In Defence of Food' . It's great.
I bet all your grandparents and back ate plenty of 'grains' as well and lived to a ripe old age.
And by the way, what is an anti-nutrient?!
Hi Debs. I think an antri nutrient is something that gets in the way of other nutrients being absorbed. Grains contain phytic acid which can get in the way of absorbing things like iron, zinc, calcium and magnesium as well causing other things mentioned in this article like inflammation. At the extreme end the paleo crowd take issue with green smoothies made with raw kale. This is because it contains large amounts of oxalic acid which can get in the way of absorbing iron. This is why you might read that it's sometimes better to eat spinach and kale lightly cooked as the body can access the iron more readily.

I stopped eating grains about 6 weeks ago apart from one piece of sough-dough on a Saturday morning. I felt great and I have stopped feeling arthritic (which is why I gave up in the first place). Then this week has been a bust for all sorts of reasons, and even though I did my fast days, I ate a lot of grain based food and have put on a pound and a half. So if anyone reading this is stuck on a plateau, it might be worth giving up grains for a couple of weeks to see if it kicks starts things again.
You can find arguments for and against everything on the internet!

http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/dis ... hytic-acid
I like the last line.
Debs wrote: You can find arguments for and against everything on the internet!

http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/dis ... hytic-acid
I like the last line.

Great article. I agree about finding arguments for and against everything. I frequently contradict myself :confused: :confused:
The most important is what is working for YOU!

For example to me sourdough rye-wheat bread is fine, but more than 2 slices and I'm feeling stuffed. White commercial bread doesn't do anything good to me.
I agree gorba re white commercial bread..its like eating cardboard and prob cardboard is more nutritious x i love a seedy crusty big doorstep of bread! I love my carbs more than i should X
18 posts Page 1 of 2