The FastDay Forum

Delighted or Disappointed?

21 posts Page 1 of 2
Just zipped in under goal!
23 Aug 2013, 12:56
Wahoo!!! I made it! Just went below my goal! I am SOOOO happy!

A little about myself. I was one of those kids that never seemed to gain weight. Even in my mid-20s, I weighed 113 at 5’8” – very slender. Then my metabolism gradually changed. I never went on a “diet”, but I would try to cut out the bad parts of my diet, but weight still crept on (new job, baby, new job, menopause). In January of last year I broke my leg, then the weight really started going on. I was at 162 and looking to go up another size, I knew I had to do something. Diabetes, Cancer, and Alzheimers all run in my family, so even though I was the top edge of healthy, I knew where I was potentially headed!

Coincidentally, my PBS station aired the Eat, Fast, Live Longer program right when I was trying to determine how to take action! It was a no brainer. I am a religious faster, so I knew what to expect, just had to get the details down. I did my first fast on April 8 eating 3 mini meals – that was way too tough, so cut back to lunch and supper, then late snack and supper, lately just supper. I initially set my goal at 20 pounds, which would have put me at 140 (a cool 10 stone even!), but my doctor was concerned about my osteopenia (precursor to osteoporosis – and I have shrunk a bit height-wise) so she suggested 145. I decided to halve the difference and aim for 142! I just zipped past this this morning – 141.2!

Since I had never dieted before, I weighed myself daily. Thank goodness for this forum – else I would have quit a dozen times. My weight went up and down (still does) like a yoyo, sometimes by as much as 3 pound in 1 day! I just went with the flow and counted one weight per week as my official weight (usually Friday, day after fast.I haven’t done my measurements lately, but will do so and post, probably tomorrow.

So now I have to think about maintenance. Thing is I like the 1 meal a day for 2 days, and since studies seem to indicate the best health benefit is derived from at least 24 hours fasting, I am thinking of continuing that and just increasing the calories.

Thanks to all you lovely people for the support, information, wet fish and laughter! (Who knew about ALL the uses of coconut oil or benefits of cold showers?) I look forward to more information and laughter, and will definitely join in now and again!

Take Care All! :heart:
Re: Just zipped in under goal!
23 Aug 2013, 13:04
Congratulations well done. Just because you have reached goal doesn't mean you need to become a stranger here. :victory:
23 Aug 2013, 13:24
Fantastic news Debbie! :star: :like: Your ideas for maintenance sound very much like what I'm hoping to do when I get there. And you must stick around the forum! Remember the saying "laughter is the best medicine" and there is plenty of that here and it certainly can help with the tummy muscles. ;) Well done! :)
23 Aug 2013, 13:51
Well done Debbie :like:
Do keep in touch & let us know how your maintenance is going.
23 Aug 2013, 14:13
Well done that woman! Round of applause and gold stars! :star: :star: :star:
23 Aug 2013, 14:18
Thanks all! While the process hasn't always been exactly fun, the results are! And the bonus - having y'all in my corner! :heart:
23 Aug 2013, 14:21
:star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: Fantastic! So inspirational!! :grin: Well done!
23 Aug 2013, 16:14
Congratulations Debbie I should think you're happy :heart: :heart:
Well done and Good Luck with maintenance :clover: Sue
23 Aug 2013, 16:20
That's terrific ! Yes, we will be interested in maintenance for you ! Way to go :wink:
23 Aug 2013, 17:16
Really fantastic and of course you must stay :victory: :victory: :victory:
We want to know how you get on :cool: :cool: :cool:
23 Aug 2013, 17:28
Well done and good luck with maintenance :like:
23 Aug 2013, 17:50
Brilliant! :star:
I'm hoping to join you in the maintenance shed soon! Maybe we should think up a speshul name for the goalies... Any ideas?!
24 Aug 2013, 11:46
So I compared my measurements from the first week to this week (20-21 weeks): I lost about .5 inch from each upper arm and thigh, 1 inch from bust. Where I really lost it was the middle: 2.5 in on the hips, 2.5 inches on the waist in the last 2 months. I had been measuring my waist at the bellybutton at first and switched up a couple inches higher once I realized my hip bones would likely stop any progress in measurements there (and found the correct place - thanks Caro). Just for giggles, I measured it again and I have lost 3.5 in. there.

I am not particularly active, but am now considering a fitbit to get myself going a little more. I do not like going to a gym, so my weight lifting/toning has been sporadic. Maybe do it for a couple of weeks, then a couple months go by and I think to myself I should really do more! :grin:

But life is a journey and these last four months have really been great. I feel better, I look like myself. Most importantly, I feel as though I am doing my best for the future -- and it has neither left me feeling deprived 24/7 nor killed me!

Again -- Thanks all for your support!
24 Aug 2013, 11:48
@Golarne, I am no good for witty/funny names - though I do love to laugh. I will think about it, maybe ask son (who watches too much comedy, if there can be such a thing) and see what he can come up with!
24 Aug 2013, 23:01
What about the Mainteneers??

You are all Pioneers. :victory: :cool:

It sounds like Mountaineers ( which is suitably rugged, strong willed, brave etc etc :razz: :wink: )

And it also has shades of Musketeers - all for one and one for all! :grin: :grin: :cool: :cool:
21 posts Page 1 of 2