The FastDay Forum

Suggestion Box

14 posts Page 1 of 1
Change from Kg to lbs?
03 Mar 2014, 17:02
Is there a way so you can see peoples weight in anything else by KG? It's like another language to me - I only get stones and pounds - be handy if you could swap.
Re: Change from Kg to lbs?
03 Mar 2014, 17:21
I don't think you can but the trackers are in lbs.
Actually if you use true weight app, you can change the units from lb to kg to st by pressing your true weight at the top. Just a thought. It's free too.
03 Mar 2014, 17:43
Hahaha, I think there are 2 odd pounds to a kg but I don't have a clue what a stone is.
03 Mar 2014, 17:46
stone is 14 pounds and I use internet converter for kg/lbs
03 Mar 2014, 17:51
Wow, someone said recently they had lost 5 stone, so that is like 35kg.
if I had realised that I would definitely have said congrats.
03 Mar 2014, 18:24
Yes, a 'stone' is one heck of a rock to be carrying around!
03 Mar 2014, 20:29
I was wondering if the UK and US have any official plans to change to the metric system. Australia started changing to metric in 1970 but most people still use feet and inches when saying someone's height.
03 Mar 2014, 22:30
Officially we are metric in the UK! Apart from sticking to miles rather than km. But I don't know how long before the inhabitants of the UK will catch up with officialdom! My 15 year old seems to use stone and kg equally when talking about weight!

I decided to track my weight in kg when I started because it didn't sound so scary as it meant less to me. Now I've got used to it (I think).
03 Mar 2014, 22:34
I wish we'd go metric. But we can't agree on anything in this country. We'd have to agree to change and I don't see that ever happening.
03 Mar 2014, 22:38
I just wish the USA would switch to weighing all ingredients rather than using terms like 'sticks' and cups. It's so imprecise and while I could do the conversions, mostly I find another recipe :bugeyes:
03 Mar 2014, 23:17
Winsome wrote: I just wish the USA would switch to weighing all ingredients rather than using terms like 'sticks' and cups. It's so imprecise and while I could do the conversions, mostly I find another recipe :bugeyes:

<LOL> Agree completely that multiples of ten beats teaspoons, tablespoons and cups, pints, quarts.

The origin of the meter began with pendulums, moved briefly to being 1 / 10,000,000th of the distance from the north pole to the equator, to a metal bar, to the wavelength of a gas isotope, to most recently the distance light travels in a fixed unit of time. Getting ever closer every time from 1668 to modern day.

I also skip recipes that aren't conveniently measured, but from the opposite shore. No doubt we both miss out on a yummy meal or two. But if the ingredient list 'tastes' interesting, I'll make the effort.
05 Mar 2014, 11:53
Don't you use measuring cups in the UK? I think it's so much easier to be able to measure something than have to weigh it! I hate when things have serving sizes in grams!
05 Mar 2014, 12:06
Being an old fogey, I am now sort of used to switching from one to another without any great difficulty. When I was a child and my mother was teaching me how to bake she told me that a rounded tablespoon of flour was roughly 1 oz and it worked quite well. She never had scales so everything was measured by cutlery and liquids in her trusty Pirex jug. Every aircraft in the world flies at altitude in feet and I cannot ever see that change for safety reasons. Not a problem as most folk have no use for heights like 32000 ft etc :lol:

Ballerina x :heart:
14 posts Page 1 of 1