The FastDay Forum

Suggestion Box

20 posts Page 1 of 2
ideas for an announcement
21 Oct 2013, 01:40
Hi, I have two suggestions.

1. Make an announcement telling users how to use the "tag" facility. Because clearly most forum users haven't figured that out, and try to tag people by writing @name, which of course shows up as @name.

2. Make an announcement reminding people that there are private messages, because the person who didn't read mine (because it is still in the outbox) is probably one of many who don't know they are there.

Still having fun here!
Thanks,
Wendy
Re: ideas for an announcement
21 Oct 2013, 01:51
The tagging announcement is here news-f17/topic6083.html but I think you're right; it wouldn't hurt to repeat it.
21 Oct 2013, 02:17
Well, @Tara25, it should definitely be repeated, and in much simpler terms - "code:select all" makes no sense to me. Sounds like programming language. How about just "Click the tag button above your message text and insert the user name of the person you want to tag."

@Moogie, you with me on this?
21 Oct 2013, 02:56
@wendyjane

@wendyjane: thanks. just trying it out.
21 Oct 2013, 04:59
Oh! That's how! Thanks @Wendyjane - I thought it was just me being technologically challenged! Hope this one works.

Actually, sorry, I think you'll be getting quite a few of these now :wink:
21 Oct 2013, 05:17
shachat wrote: Oh! That's how! Thanks @Wendyjane - I thought it was just me being technologically challenged! Hope this one works.

Actually, sorry, I think you'll be getting quite a few of these now :wink:

Don't apologize, please!! If everyone out there reads the thread, then no need for an administrator announcement.
21 Oct 2013, 06:13
Thanks @wendyjane had no idea about that,never noticed the ittle tag thingy
Also,yes, good one re private messages, i have 2 or 3 sadly sitting in outbox waiting to be claimed!
21 Oct 2013, 07:58
[quote="wendyjane"]Well, @Tara25, it should definitely be repeated, and in much simpler terms - "code:select all" makes no sense to me. Sounds like programming language. How about just "Click the tag button above your message text and insert the user name of the person you want to tag."

@wendyjane@tara25
thanks for making it clearer, it was all goobledogook to me too! :like:
21 Oct 2013, 08:13
@@zamale

I'm tech challenged, had to see for myself :smile:
21 Oct 2013, 08:27
Well I am obviously challenged - where is the tag button? I can only see ! Quote and thanks buttons
21 Oct 2013, 08:31
@wendyjane I had never notice ALL those buttons either. I usually click on quick reply!
21 Oct 2013, 08:35
GMH wrote: Well I am obviously challenged - where is the tag button? I can only see ! Quote and thanks buttons

You have to use the reply box at the top of the page and there they all are.
I now know how to do it-but what happens when you do tag someone?
21 Oct 2013, 09:11
'Code: Select all' is just the standard heading which appears when you use a code box in your posts. 'Code' tells you that it's a box showing you some code, 'select all' allows you to click those words to select the code in the box. The code itself for the tag is displayed in the code box. Sorry, I never thought the title of the code box would cause confusion!

When users are tagged they are notified by PM with a link to where they were tagged.

There are various things I've been meaning to write up as a sort of a new user guide for the forum, but so far time hasn't allowed me to get any further with it. Tagging and messaging are certainly areas which should be included.
21 Oct 2013, 09:29
Thanks @wendyjane. Tagging is something I tried to do last week but failed at and didn't quite have the time to look into.
21 Oct 2013, 18:51
Moogie wrote: 'Code: Select all' is just the standard heading which appears when you use a code box in your posts. 'Code' tells you that it's a box showing you some code, 'select all' allows you to click those words to select the code in the box. The code itself for the tag is displayed in the code box. Sorry, I never thought the title of the code box would cause confusion!

When users are tagged they are notified by PM with a link to where they were tagged.

There are various things I've been meaning to write up as a sort of a new user guide for the forum, but so far time hasn't allowed me to get any further with it. Tagging and messaging are certainly areas which should be included.

Okay @Moogie, I think we are on different pages here or something. I just hit the quote button, to quote your message (in order to reference it directly or remind other readers of what you said). Above the text box that I am currently writing in is a series of buttons, starting with buttons to bold, italicize or underline, and ending with a youtube button. The one directly to the left of the youtube button is labeled "tag" and that is the one I have clicked to create the tag at the start of this paragraph.

It is extremely straightforward - but only once you notice the little boxes and click on them. For example, I can bold something I'm excited about. Or I could insert an image (img) if I knew how to do that. I was just playing with it, but can't see how to use an image stored on my computer - do I need to type in the whole path?

However nowhere on our interface is there any sort of "Code:select all" heading which appears. And nowhere is there a "code box". Perhaps as administrator, your interface is very different than ours..

Thanks,
Wendy
20 posts Page 1 of 2