The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

14 posts Page 1 of 1
I try to avoid sugar, even the brown stuff, on all days, but must admit I can't stand a cup of tea without at least a dash of milk and a level tea-spoon of sugar.

But I do regard the stuff as bad news. I'd far prefer herbs in my taste repertoire, but that's not so easy!

Maybe you embrace sugar?
Hi Lanky - the only time I really tend to use sugar is if I'm caramelising onions...other than that I don't, particularly.

Sometimes a small dash of honey or agave nectar goes into things - particularly if I'm cooking with mince. A bit of agave nectar in coffee tastes quite nice and I know my cousin uses manuka honey in his tea, instead of sugar.

I don't use milk nowadays either, not even in tea. Almond milk is a tasty substitute if you're feeling adventurous!
Normally I avoid it like the plague now...except on special occasions. I think it's just 'empty' calories and not good for your insulin levels either and if you want to burn fat it's best to keep those as low as you can. Sensible advice from pinchypops if you like something sweet in your tea.
I don't use sugar, I think we have some in the back of a cupboard but the last time I saw it it had set like concrete. I don't remember throwing it away....
Hi Lanky if you mean sugar in a packet or in a sugar bowl..the only time i use it is maybe half a teaspoon of brown sugar on porridge..
But if you mean sugar as contained in cakes,biccies and so on...i try...but ..sometimes..its just...too..darned..tempting! :razz:
But never ever on a fast day..i like to really feel i am fasting and repairing those days and sugar is gonna sabotage that..bigtime x
It's very hard to avoid sugar altogether as it is disguised by so many other names (fructose, lactose, glucose syrup etc)in manufactured goods and many 'low fat' products have increased sugar levels to compensate for the lack of fat. I personally try to avoid it by making as many of my meals as I can from scratch so I know what's in them and even in baking it's usually possible to reduce the amount of sugar suggested or replacing it by stevia or a similar artificial sweetener.
pinchypops wrote: Hi Lanky - the only time I really tend to use sugar is if I'm caramelising onions...other than that I don't, particularly.
@pinchypops
I've found you don't even need sugar to caramelise onions or other veg. I use a heavy non stick pan and literally 'dry fry' the onions over a very low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon . If they do start to stick just add a little beef stock and keep stirring until the natural sugars are released and you'll have a beautiful, sweet, brown, gooey mess! Don't forget to scrape off the charred bits too and stir them in! Making me drool to think about them! :razz: :razz:
Gave it up completely last August and never looked back. It's really hard to eliminate from the diet but it is absolutely possible. Your body does not need it. I can sniff sugar in most forms at 30 paces these days :victory:
Do you still use any artificial sweeteners Karen or have you completely lost your 'sweet tooth' now? I admire your resolve but don't think I could give up the occasional dessert, cake or chocolate!
Hi Lanky, I don't sweeten drinks or use sugar in cooking, but I still eat chocolate (albeit 85% plus cocoa with minimal sugar content). We do have occasional desserts but I tend to think that 'making up' an exercise-induced energy deficit with something sweet is intrinsically better than overloading your system when it is already in balance. Xmas has involved much more sugary stuff than usual, of course, and there are a couple of pounds that need shifting this month as a result...
Yes, sugar in the bowl is really what I meant. I guess I say that because I have always taken for granted that there is sugar in cakes, biscuits etc.

I only ever add it to cups of tea (my coffee is, 99% of the time, black). As for cakes etc... steering clear at the moment.

HOWEVER, have a weekend in Madrid coming up and that is going to be VERY tough to get through without sugar in some form. :frown:
I know artificial sweeteners are not popular but have you considered that as an option?
I'm using stevia in coffee these days, but I use Splenda in tea.
SianS wrote: I know artificial sweeteners are not popular but have you considered that as an option?

Thanks, but no thanks on that, Sian.

I tried sweeteners year ago, and found them revolting.

Sorry.
14 posts Page 1 of 1