The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Haha even the hoster of the Christmas challenges last two years has gone off the rails. Not really sure why but weight started to creep up and saw a number I just shouldnt have seen. Even shook the scales in case it was playing tricks on me lol.

Have had what I thought was good fast days but maybe just eating more than I should on other days.

Monday, Wednesdays and Fridays are lean days but im going to introduce a fasting time like i used to on a Sunday. .Will still have a big meal and probs 1000 calories or thereabouts but will do the "dont eat much at all" all day till dinner time. Was doing it about 2 years ago and got really good at it. Do too much cooking on a Sunday to make it a fast day but thought the extra "non eating window" an approach.
Sorry to hear this Juliana.Rivers but I am sure prompt action as described will see you right.
Hi Julianna, I'm sure reacting right now in whatever way works for you is exactly right and will do the trick. I know it's not scientific, but older flab seems harder to shift, while newer pounds can come & go!
I did well with the full fast till 6pm today. Felt hungry but got through it.
My daughter gave me a Garmen vivofit activity tracker for Mothers day today so thats another positive.. just got to "connect myself up"
Just a thought, and definitely not a criticism, but I see (on Facebook) all those lovely dishes that you and your sister prepare and wondered if your portion sizes are a little too large? I don't know how many you are feeding with them but a even a couple of hundred extra calories a day will eventually mount up and lead to unwanted surprises! Perhaps try cutting those back a little and you may not need your Sunday restriction? Good luck - from someone who ate (and enjoyed immensely) a 200 gram bar of whole-nut chocolate yesterday! I haven't done that for at least a year and of course today I want to eat everything in sight! We are our own worst enemies sometimes! :frown:
StowgateResident wrote: Just a thought, and definitely not a criticism, but I see (on Facebook) all those lovely dishes that you and your sister prepare and wondered if your portion sizes are a little too large? I don't know how many you are feeding with them but a even a couple of hundred extra calories a day will eventually mount up and lead to unwanted surprises! Perhaps try cutting those back a little and you may not need your Sunday restriction? Good luck - from someone who ate (and enjoyed immensely) a 200 gram bar of whole-nut chocolate yesterday! I haven't done that for at least a year and of course today I want to eat everything in sight! We are our own worst enemies sometimes! :frown:

Good point about the portion control on those dishes, particularly on fast days and even on normal days. Perhaps it has contributed to weight gain despite being on 4:3. I shall review what enters my mouth over the next few weeks to see the results.. Thanks Good advice!

I had a recent liking for butter on things of late so am watching that too.
Dear Juliana

Don't be too hard on yourself, everyone has challenging times. As I just said to Maggie, you need to find an eating regime that is sustainable for you, and makes you happy and healthy.

With the lovely food that you cook, try serving yourself smaller portions, as suggested. If you are still hungry after that, then have a bit more.

I just had a look at your progress tracker. Have you worked out what was different with your eating over the last 12 months, compared with the previous 12 months, that might be useful for you now? Was it just the lean Sundays that you are now planning to introduce?

What makes a lean day for you? If you aren't losing weight with 3 lean days a week, then you are (obviously) consuming more than you need on the other days. Introducing one more lean day may not make a huge difference to your weight, and might end up making you feel deprived and liable to overeat on the other days??? Of course, it may not, it might be the approach that works for you. :)

However, I wonder if it is worth considering trying to learn how to have days where you eat just what your body needs, not more, not less? Once you are able to eat according to your body's needs, it may be easier to identify a sustainable way to eat less if you want to lose weight. (As you may have picked up, I have become a bit of a fan of the Amanda Sainsbury-Salis approach to weight management...)

Good luck and best wishes for finding the approach that works for you. :clover: :heart: :clover:
Sassy1 wrote: Dear Juliana

Don't be too hard on yourself, everyone has challenging times. As I just said to Maggie, you need to find an eating regime that is sustainable for you, and makes you happy and healthy.

With the lovely food that you cook, try serving yourself smaller portions, as suggested. If you are still hungry after that, then have a bit more.

I just had a look at your progress tracker. Have you worked out what was different with your eating over the last 12 months, compared with the previous 12 months, that might be useful for you now? Was it just the lean Sundays that you are now planning to introduce?

What makes a lean day for you? If you aren't losing weight with 3 lean days a week, then you are (obviously) consuming more than you need on the other days. Introducing one more lean day may not make a huge difference to your weight, and might end up making you feel deprived and liable to overeat on the other days??? Of course, it may not, it might be the approach that works for you. :)

However, I wonder if it is worth considering trying to learn how to have days where you eat just what your body needs, not more, not less? Once you are able to eat according to your body's needs, it may be easier to identify a sustainable way to eat less if you want to lose weight. (As you may have picked up, I have become a bit of a fan of the Amanda Sainsbury-Salis approach to weight management...)

Good luck and best wishes for finding the approach that works for you. :clover: :heart: :clover:

Thanks @Sassy1 ... what wise words you have. I definitely wouldnt do 4 lean days. only 3 plus a definite lengthy non eating window to counteract any effects of Gourmet Saturday indulgences.

The weight crept up mainly in last 7 months. I do know that calorie restrictions stopping me being over my start weight so am happy with that. Tried the calorie counting on fast days a few months back and that highlighted just how much food adds up.

Will need to get that book you talk about!
8 posts Page 1 of 1