The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Non fasting days
09 Sep 2013, 07:20
Hi

I'm fairly new to this diet, I've been doing 5:2 for about a month and lost about 10lb's I can't seem to get to the 14lb but I've read a post answering possibilities of why this Tia, my clothes feel loose so its working as far as I'm concerned.

My question is on the non fasting days typically what do you eat?

I try to calorie count a bit and keep it to around 2,000, generally its quite healthy such as:

Breakfast:
Onken yogurt 450 calories
Apple

Snacks:
Go ahead biscuits 150 calories per 3 biscuits
Red bull sugar free 9 calories

Lunch:
Sandwich 400 calories
Apple

Snacks:

Dinner - varies
Omlette
Spag bowl
Chicken & rice
Fish pie
Tuna & pasta

Drink
Bottle of water
Diet coke

Is it enough and should I eat a certain type of food ie high carb, high fat?

Lastly I've heard the 5:2 is good for cholesterol, is it good for saturated fat?
I fear I've abused what I've eaten over the years, I'm not terribly overweight 14.7 stone but 6ft 3.

Oh one more, where have you found the fat come off? I'm struggling shifting it from my stomach and double chin! But waist is certainly smaller, I don't really exercise but have an active job

Thanks
Re: Non fasting days
09 Sep 2013, 08:27
Hi Fattony & welcome!

Wow, that must be quite a big helping of yogurt to come in at 450 calories. Even my full fat creamy stuff is only 150 cals per pot! I'd also suggest staying away from these 'diet' products like Go Ahead and 'sugar free' stuff, they're usually loaded with nasty chemicals which doesn't do us any good. Better to make your own biscuits if you can or buy non-diet ones.

Can I suggest that you sign up to our Progress Tracker? This will calculate the amount of calories you should be eating on your feed days for you. Remember, as you lose weight your body needs less energy just to tick over, so your intake needs to decrease to. When I started my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) was around 2,000 calories, now 3 stone later it's just over 1,600.
09 Sep 2013, 08:37
Welcome and congrats so far. I don't think you are in bad shape given your height. You are the same height as my OH and he shifted faster by cutting out sugar and it all came off his tummy (He was addicted to Go Ahead). You don't have to be so drastic but try swapping out your snacks for protein based ones instead of sugar ones as you seem to be quite carb heavy on your non fast days and those GH biscuits are full of nasties. Try beef jerky/biltong, protein bars, nuts etc. If you have time, try eggs for breakfast as they will probably keep you going for longer.
09 Sep 2013, 09:32
Hi Tony Well Done with the weight lost so far :like: definitely fill in to tracker so you get your TDEE and measure everywhere, I don't buy diet products either I keep fastdays simply with a 2 course evening meal I do this by way of a reward for going the full 24 hrs.
My feed days I bulk up each meal with salads or vegetables so that I have plenty to eat at each sitting, in fact my meals are a lot bigger now than the have ever been if I need something afterwards I have an apple sliced up and cored sometimes sprinkled with cinnamon I eat it slowly to enjoy all the flavor, I do have a small chocky treat a few nights per week because I don't want to feel I'm missing out on anything, so I've not actually given any food item up I just have smaller portions of what diet clubs called forbidden foods :-) fish/chips/biscuits/cake.
Good Luck in sorting out your feed days :clover: Sue

Oops edit:-) meant to say for me personally I've lost fat from Everywhere I didn't take many measurements but have had to get rid of all my clothes and buy new stuff for that very reason. Sue
09 Sep 2013, 17:37
Thanks for the advice I'll take it on board and look for an alternative snack, I'm field based and get out the house at 5.45am and get back about 6pm, the yogurt in the morning is a full pot of onken about 7.30am, I generally stop in a Supermarket somewhere to get my breakfast / lunch
09 Sep 2013, 18:04
Hi fattony,

Do what works for you, but personally, I'd steer clear of the diet food. Generally speaking, when something is marked as low fat or sugar free, it's a chemical shitstorm! I'd suggest that a banana would be a better snack. If you go for fairtrade or organic ones, they are way way nicer than those enormous tasteless ones. Unsalted nuts (not the fatty roasted kind) are a good source of protein, and easy to nibble on the go.

Also, Diet Coke is really really bad for you, but I get that bubbles can make you feel full, so a bottle of sparkling water would be a better option.

You sound like you're doing well :)
09 Sep 2013, 19:03
Mmmmm dry roasted nuts!

I thought diet coke was ok?

I used to drink the Tesco bottles of fizzy water but didn't think that was the best either?
7 posts Page 1 of 1