The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

21 posts Page 1 of 2
Courgette Spagetti!
12 Feb 2014, 21:45
I saw this recipes just now and wondered if anyone has tried it!
http://www.52recipes.co.uk/2014/01/16/t ... spaghetti/
Re: Courgette Spagetti!
12 Feb 2014, 22:01
Yep, use it all the time. Really yummy! Especially useful when we have a glut of courgettes in our garden!
12 Feb 2014, 22:15
It's fine, but it's even better done as alfredo with parmesan and cream!!

For spaghetti and meatballs, I prefer spaghetti squash that you bake, and then fluff out the strands with a fork.
12 Feb 2014, 22:25
It's really hard to get spaghetti squash in the UK unless you grow it yourself.
13 Feb 2014, 00:09
ah - bummer!
13 Feb 2014, 04:13
Brand-ie wrote: It's really hard to get spaghetti squash in the UK unless you grow it yourself.

I'm not sure that is what dragonsheart is referring to. It's shredded courgette. Yes I use it all the time in the summer. Had a lot of courgettes last year and lived on it with more or less everything. Always better raw than cooked. IMHO
13 Feb 2014, 07:38
The only place I've found spaghetti squash here is in my Riverford organic veg box - they do a fantastic squash selection box in the autumn that makes wonderful decorations until you gradually eat your way through it :smile: Worth bearing in mind for later in the year.

As for the courgette spaghetti, yes I like it, and also with shredded carrot mixed in. If you aren't counting calories, steaming it very lightly or microwaving just for a blast to slightly soften ten adding minted butter, salt and black pepper is heavenly!
13 Feb 2014, 08:16
rawkaren wrote:
Brand-ie wrote: It's really hard to get spaghetti squash in the UK unless you grow it yourself.

I'm not sure that is what dragonsheart is referring to. It's shredded courgette. Yes I use it all the time in the summer. Had a lot of courgettes last year and lived on it with more or less everything. Always better raw than cooked. IMHO

Sorry I was answering TracieKnits. Courgette spaghetti sounds interesting. I have never eaten courgette so might give it a try.
13 Feb 2014, 08:43
Thanks for sharing that recipe @Dragonsheart now that I'm trying to watch my carbs I shall certainly try that!

Bean :bugeyes:
13 Feb 2014, 09:40
rawkaren wrote:
It's shredded courgette. Yes I use it all the time in the summer. Had a lot of courgettes last year and lived on it with more or less everything. Always better raw than cooked. IMHO

Even better in a muffin Karen! :grin: :wink:
13 Feb 2014, 11:58
Best thing I have bought in the last few months (and especially whilst doing 5:2) is a spiralizer. Hope we are allowed to insert links because here's one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lurch-Spirali-1 ... spiralizer

In a few seconds it turns courgettes, big carrots, sweet potatoes, butternut squash etc into long twirly noodles/spaghetti! Depending on the vegetable i then heat the noodles through and eat in place of spaghetti - delicious!

Can wholeheartedly recommend it - also for making wafer thin carrot/cucumber spirals in a jiffy, perfect for a quick salad!
13 Feb 2014, 12:01
Forgot to add - the website www.inspiralized.com is full of delicious recipes and ideas which make full use of the spiralizer.
13 Feb 2014, 12:05
Think I'm gonna need a bigger kitchen

Bean :wink:
13 Feb 2014, 12:57
Yes, I had courgette spaghetti last night with my meatballs. Just used a potato peeler to get thin strips lenthways down as far as the seeds and then fried in a bit of chili oil. The family had pasta but I prefer the courgette option now. I have it raw or any flavouring I fancy that goes with the meal I'm preparing.
17 Mar 2014, 15:59
Found this today
http://www.topwithcinnamon.com/2013/06/ ... pesto.html
It makes courgette spaghetti with a box grater. I just made some and it turned out better than when I used my peeler.
21 posts Page 1 of 2