The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

57 posts Page 2 of 4
Re: Favourite kitchen gadget?
12 Aug 2013, 21:27
yes, I much prefer them cooked and eaten. I have a lemon flavored white balsamic vinegar that I love on sauteed kale :-)
12 Aug 2013, 21:30
Thanks Tracie - that looks great! Will check it out. And bobby I obeyed your signature and had a look at your blog -very interesting to read your recipes and I like the pictures - certainly it doesn't look like 'fasting' food!

I think what you call collard greens, we just call spring greens. I love them like that recipe with onion & garlic (I've even put that on a pizza base inspired by my recipe book River Cottage Veg Everyday. Yummy). They are also delicious with bacon or chorizo - but then most things are delicious with bacon or chorizo!

And yes I do prefer tough greens like kale cooked. They do not have such a melodic digestive result!
12 Aug 2013, 21:39
Jemima wrote: My favourite kitchen gadget?

Hmmm...

My husband!! :lol:

Exactly what I was going to say, although its hard to choose between him and my coffee machine.
12 Aug 2013, 21:46
My new powerful blender which makes green smoothies so easy.

But going low-tech, I have a couple of brilliant ones. One's a small rubber cylinder - you roll a clove of garlic in it and the skin just falls off. The other's a wire structure shaped like a pair of hands - you put your washing up gloves on them to air on the inside.

I do realise I sound a bit weird and rather sad :oops: but I love little gadgety gizmos like that. I'd like to meet the people who invent this stuff!
12 Aug 2013, 21:47
greenmonster wrote: And bobby I obeyed your signature and had a look at your blog -very interesting to read your recipes and I like the pictures - certainly it doesn't look like 'fasting' food!

Obeyed?? LOL!

You're right. There are a few pictures that are not fasting day foods. My fasting day menu does not vary too much. I've posted pictures of them but food, on non-fasting day, is far more exciting to me. :grin:
12 Aug 2013, 21:51
My most favourite gadget is the Nespresso Coffee machine, I cannot understand why it took me so long to get one...it's a dream!!
12 Aug 2013, 22:02
Stick blender. Hand held mixer. Oh and the little gadget that opens things - jars, bottles, screw tops ...
12 Aug 2013, 23:23
The Oxo brand of kitchen tools have big, soft, easily- gripped handles that are essential for comfort for those of us troubled with arthritic hands: http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-6-Piece ... ensils+oxo

Silicone spatulas are ideal for stirring things on the stove, then scooping them out without the spatula's melting.

I loved Bee Wilson's book, "Consider the Fork" all about the history of kitchen utensils: http://www.amazon.com/Consider-Fork-His ... r+the+fork
13 Aug 2013, 00:02
I always wind up with loads of tabs of recipes open on fast days Bobbyd :D

I love my food processor and blender, so many uses - smoothies, soups, dough, pastry, grating (cheese and veggies), mixing, slices. Would love a thermomix, but no way I'll ever spend 2 Grand (that's a plane ticket to Cape Town or Europe!) on a kitchen appliance, and realistically, there isn't a huge amount that it does that I don't already do in various other appliances.
13 Aug 2013, 01:38
Definitely my Nespresso. It makes me happy :smile: to wake up every morning ( just from imagining the smell). Just ordered a new one after the old one that lasted about 3 years started to leak, still using it until we get the new one... Hopefully tomorrow.
13 Aug 2013, 01:55
Glad to hear your Nespresso lasted three years! I've never had a coffeemaker survive that long :-) My U is not quite a year old, but I adore it so much I am tempted to bring it on my trip to Nebraska next month -- you know good coffee won't be easy to find there.
13 Aug 2013, 02:35
I think it's a good idea! Go for it! Bad coffee would certainly make me unhappy on a vacation.
13 Aug 2013, 02:48
Silverdarling wrote: Stick blender. Hand held mixer. Oh and the little gadget that opens things - jars, bottles, screw tops ...

That little gadget that opens things is a godsend. I barely swear any more after getting one. I also love my salad spinner.
13 Aug 2013, 03:27
My favorite kitchen gadget is my new magnifying glass with a built in light! Now I can actually read the calories per serving.
Zasha
13 Aug 2013, 03:56
1. Espresso machine
2. Stick blender
3. Magimix food processor (from an ex boss, I got the $900 Magimix, I sold US$100,000 worth of product for him - guess he got the best deal!)
57 posts Page 2 of 4