The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

57 posts Page 3 of 4
Re: Favourite kitchen gadget?
13 Aug 2013, 03:57
Maybe Julieathome has carved an interesting "gadget" for the kitchen :-) (read hobbies thread to know what that means)

I cant be without my Saeco expresso machine and second to that .. the grinder. The Saeco is an old fashioned expresso machine that uses ground coffee, not the pods and if its behaving i can get crema an inch high! . its all about the hand movement. Where is my mind today?
13 Aug 2013, 05:10
I love unconditionally all my kitchen gadgets, and use all thousand of them regularly. Most of them are expert travelers, like my Gaggia or Saeco coffee machines following me around the world, and in every place there were more (exotic) gadgets to buy. Right now I am experimenting with De Buyer iron pans. The same used by pro cooks in restaurants. I am in love with them! What else can I say, too many gadgets, too little time....;-)
13 Aug 2013, 05:37
I have a small fetish for mortars and pestles...ahem
love my steel for sharpening knives
very fond of my juice reamer- it's bright yellow porcelain
and the food processor gets abused very regularly
and the stovetop coffee pot which is necessity
13 Aug 2013, 06:47
There is a wonderful company here in UK called Lakeland http://www.lakeland.co.uk who do all the kitchenware you could ever want, including some you didn't know you wanted! Worth a browse, especially on a fast day! :wink:
13 Aug 2013, 08:27
My waffle maker is 40 something years old and I stole it from my mum so I wouldn't know about the knew ones :cool:

My favourite kitchen gadget..... My microwave, because I couldn't live without it. It's perfect to cooked steamed veg for example.

My dorky mugs come close seconds. In my early twenties, I worked at Dineyland Paris and I was a mug nut. I bougth some beautiful pieces which are totally inappropriate now but I still use when I am alone... I have "normal" mugs for the everyday life, however :grin:
13 Aug 2013, 08:56
My favourite kitchen gadget is our new Insinkerator tap we bought at the Ideal Home Show last spring. It has filtered water one side, and boiling water the other side - and we no longer have a kettle! It's instant, and so easy - I even warm the cup before making coffee!

The best £349 I ever spent!

http://www.insinkerator.co.uk/product/h ... -water-tap
13 Aug 2013, 09:36
Sorry can't help with the waffle maker as ours is about 25 years old that we brought home from Germany.

Favourite kitchen item: Magimix food processor. Just purchased in May this year and now I don't know how I managed without it.
13 Aug 2013, 09:59
I recently bought a waffle maker that is a combo of waffle maker griddle and toasted sandwich maker. Can't remember the brand but it is a tefal style one and its ok. If I could get my hands on one and could afford it, I would get a traditional iron one.

I have a few favorite kitchen gadgets:

An ancient blender that I use for making smoothies, soups and sauces.

My silicone oven gloves. Not really a gadget but they are wipe clean and protect my hands really well. I hated the cloth ones getting all mucky and then never coming out the same after a wash.

The garlic peeler roll that someone else mentioned.

A silicone egg wash brush that I also use for greasing a hot pan when making waffles or pancakes.

A hand operated mini processor that chops, minces, and slices, and has an attachment for cake mixes and batter.
13 Aug 2013, 10:04
Timers. I have about 3 and frequently have all 3 in use at the same time. I am forever forgetting how long things have been cooking.
13 Aug 2013, 10:19
Silverdarling, I love Lakeland! I have a shop near me and can happily spend an hour or two just browsing through all the little gadgety things they have. So clever, some of them!
13 Aug 2013, 10:29
I almost forgot my can't live without kitchen gadget which is a rice cooker. I am terrible at making rice and anyway I usually need the space on my hob for other things.

It is definitely my most used one if not my favorite :)
13 Aug 2013, 10:34
When I was younger I used to love looking through the Lakeland catalogue dreaming of the day I'd have my own kitchen! What a sad child...

Love all these - and I want all the ones I don't already have!
13 Aug 2013, 11:05
My favorite ''appliance'' is my George Forman grill he cooks for me 4/5times weekly beautifully mmmmm followed by my stick blender for my soups :heart: the two together make all my fastday 2course meals and of course more besides :clover: Sue
31 Dec 2013, 17:50
My air-fryer. Fantastic chips with the tiniest amount of oil. Also my bamboo veggie steamers and my wok.
31 Dec 2013, 17:53
Favourite gadget is a 'garlic zoom', it chops garlic and is fun and funky. Plus despite it looking as if it would fall apart after 2 uses its still here 2 years down the line and we love our garlic.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garlic-Zoom-Ori ... arlic+zoom
57 posts Page 3 of 4