The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

33 posts Page 2 of 3
Re: Poached eggs and ...what?
23 Jan 2014, 19:25
Poached egg stack with egg done to just how you like, on wilted spinach, on a portobello mushroom which you have fried in some butter. I would drizzle a small amount of my home made tarragon green peppercorn Dijon mustard and a couple of grinds of salt and pepper over the lot. A few steamed sticks of asparagus sound like a good accompanying side
23 Jan 2014, 19:30
Hairy Bikers have Poached egg, smoked salmon and spinach in the 'Eat for Life' book, at 205 cal a portion

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=fKqp ... on&f=false
23 Jan 2014, 19:46
My fave is poached eggs with peppered turkey bacon, tomato slices and sliced avocado. Since you're vegetarian I'd go for wilted spinach instead.
23 Jan 2014, 20:19
OK, I shall give away my secret maintenance brunch of choice - two leftover boiled potatoes sliced and fried in coconut oil, with a dusting of cayenne pepper, three decent-sized mushrooms sliced and fried for a minute or two, three eggs fried in the same pan, after the veg have been removed to a warm plate, and thoroughly cooked on both sides (eggs over hard!), plated with the veg then half a tin of decent baked beans into the pan with a slice of mature cheddar, swished around until the cheese melts and the sauce thickens. A dash of HP brown sauce on the eggs before pouring the beans over and job done. Gawd knows how many calories but you don't need to eat again for ages...
23 Jan 2014, 21:08
Sounds like Man Grub @creakypete - maybe you should post it on the Men Only thread ... But I like the sound of the HP sauce ... :wink:
23 Jan 2014, 22:07
Ooohhhh what yummy ideas, going to try all of those.

I usually have a 2 egg omelette cooked in coconut oil, filled with smoked salmon and seasoned with chives or dill, black pepper and lemon. I often have some veggies on the side. Fasted today, so really looking forward to that for lunch tomorrow
23 Jan 2014, 22:13
Poached eggs are nice on a mild veggie or chickpea curry.
24 Jan 2014, 04:14
Being gluten free, hash browns are decadent. This got me thinking though as I am on this butternut french fry kick. They take forever to bake and brown in the oven but are fabulous. So I think a pile of cubed butternut would be divine with poached eggs on top.
25 Jan 2014, 13:55
Dont forget the Hollondaise sauce. (eggs benedict)

good recipe here. its really easy
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/9721/po ... ollandaise
25 Jan 2014, 14:03
Yummy everyone. Thanks for the ideas.
04 Feb 2014, 11:29
How about a smoked haddock kedgeree with a poached egg on top. I have this a lot and its light but very tasty.
On a fast day i have a slice of toast with half can of beans topped with a poached egg and some lightly fried mushrooms yummmy! :dazed:
04 Feb 2014, 11:44
Here's what I'd do
Boil 100g celeriac and 100g swede till soft (can you get celeriac in the sand pit?)
Mash with small drained can Cannellini beans and season (I always add either cumin or curry powder, but almost anything goes!)
Shape into patties and fry.
Pop those poachies on top!
04 Feb 2014, 12:16
I wish I hadn't read this. I am dreaming about eggs and toast now when I am trying to be satisfied with a bowl of porridge. Meh!
04 Feb 2014, 13:43
I posted my veggie hash in the 16:8 tent. It's lovely and I generally serve two eggs over easy on top of it.

For one person, take a large onion and slice it thinly - I am aiming for slightly larger than potato shreds - we'll get there in a minute ;-)

Sautee the onion in a very small amount of veg oil until soft and starting to brown just a bit. Add some slices of bell pepper/sweet pepper and some garlic, as well as seasoned salt and hot paprika. Then toss in a bit of shredded frozen potato - I use about half as much potato as I used onion. Let that brown, like has browns. This can take up to 20 minutes if you're not using very high heat. You have to find the balance between not burning it and letting it get brown - takes some practice :-)

Once the veggie are brown, I usually throw in a couple of handfuls of baby greens, like spinach, kale swiss chard etc. Once those are wilted/cooked to my liking, I push the hash to the side and cook two eggs over easy, serving them on top of the hash. Although poached would be just as lovely. I like the runny yolks running all over the hash :-)

Depending on how much veg oil you use, it can be as low as 400 calories a serving - a big plate of food! The onion kind of disguises itself and it feels like a big plate of potatoes. But it's not that many carbs.
04 Feb 2014, 14:26
Either on sourdough or poached in a shakshuka. Which is onions, red peppers, garlic softened. Cumin and smoked hot paprika plus seasoning. Tin of tomatoes and eggs plopped into the mix to poach. Nice hangover breakfast. :wink:
33 posts Page 2 of 3