The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

33 posts Page 1 of 3
Poached eggs and ...what?
23 Jan 2014, 17:32
While I was writing a reply to a poster, I realised I've been 5:2 ing for over 15 months and 4:3ing for six of these. My fast day meal is
2 poached eggs and 2 slices of toast. I love it, it's easy and very comforting and satisfying.
A lot of eggs though, not that I'm going to let that bother me.
So, with the talk and ideas of our lovely low carbers ringing in my ears, and thinking I might look at cutting down the bread, what can I have with my poached eggs?
Smitten kitchen (food blog I love) just today posted lentil salad and suggested topping it with poached eggs. Serendipitiously yummy I think.
An y other ideas?
Re: Poached eggs and ...what?
23 Jan 2014, 17:35
Just on a bed of wilted spinach or kale?
23 Jan 2014, 17:37
Mushrooms lightly fried in butter or coconut oil?
23 Jan 2014, 17:39
Eggs, bacon, mushrooms and maybe a tomato?

Bean :starving:
23 Jan 2014, 17:40
Poached eggs on..... very large field mushrooms (lightly cooked in a non stick frying pan with very little olive oil)....they're almost meaty.
23 Jan 2014, 17:41
I would grate a bit of strong cheddar over mine :smile:

Chris x
23 Jan 2014, 17:41
Slice of home cooked ham
23 Jan 2014, 17:48
:oops: Hmmm, should've probably mentioned I'm veggie :oops:
l@callyanna kale sound a bit too like cabbage though have to admit I haven't had it before. Spinach? Now there's a thought. I love spinach fatayer and the spinach, lemon, sumac, cinnamon , allspice combo would work rather nicely , I think. Wee sprinkle of pine nuts too. Nice.
Mushrooms sound goog too, Pete, Auriga and bean. Not sure if that would fill me up the same though.
Cheese. If I was adding cheese ,, I'd go down the scrambled egg route and that has to have TOAST. (Sorry)
Lovin the ideas, thanks folks.
23 Jan 2014, 18:17
Smoked haddock?
23 Jan 2014, 18:26
I usually break my fast (16.8 and full fast days ) with 2 poached eggs on 1 toast, I'm also a lover of this meal. Mushroom, and ham sounds lovely though.
23 Jan 2014, 18:38
Could you make some kind of vegetable tagine? Eggs are lovely with tagine! Or bubble & squeak, though I guess you'd need to use some kind of squash instead of potato. Mmm, eggs with bubble & squeak :)
23 Jan 2014, 18:52
Smoked salmon - yum.
23 Jan 2014, 18:58
Asparagus!
23 Jan 2014, 19:00
Moogie wrote: Or bubble & squeak, though I guess you'd need to use some kind of squash instead of potato. Mmm, eggs with bubble & squeak :)

I really want to work out a low-carb B&S - its my fav. food, and perfect for a quick meal, if I could freeze some portions
23 Jan 2014, 19:19
... mmm yes - definitely agree with Franglaise and Otter ...
it definitely ought to be fish ....

:wink: :lol: :grin:
33 posts Page 1 of 3