The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

35 posts Page 1 of 3
Hairy Dieters Book
01 Mar 2013, 13:14
Thank you soooo much 'whoever' posted about the Hairy Dieters Book. I went out straight after reading the post and bought it in Tesco.

All the receipes are lovely with great photos (have to have a photo!!) and majority under 500 calories.

Starting my weekend off right with a chilli tonight at just 302 calories.

Great tip!

Thanks
Re: Hairy Dieters Book
01 Mar 2013, 13:18
It is great isn't it! I have tried quite a few of the recipes and have loved them all!
02 Mar 2013, 14:25
Agreed- there are loads of ideas for fast day dinners :) and really tasty too :)
02 Mar 2013, 14:41
I made the cottage pie my last fast day.
My husband loved it and it made a good sized portion.
I try to make things we would normally eat of fast days as I don't feel then like I'm missing out.
I debated about putting the leeks in the mash as my husband doesn't normally do anything green, but not even a comment about them!
I used natural yogurt in place of the creme fraise as I didn't have any in, and can't buy the low fat version where I live.
I bought some chicken thighs to try the Spanish chicken recipe this week.
Love that there's nothing too fancy in the book. Just good basic recipes.
A good buy.
02 Mar 2013, 14:58
I love this book. The Spanish Chicken is really good, Bellalou.

I've also tried the cottage pie (delicious)and the carrot cake which was surprisingly good.
02 Mar 2013, 15:07
I haven't even looked at the puddings yet muppet.
More to look forward to obviously!
03 Mar 2013, 20:50
Made the Lamb, Spinach & Potato Curry for tea tonight and had with garlic nan bread. Delicious and only 293 calories per serving. Serves 6 and we are only 4 which means that my husband and I will have it again tomorrow for tea for our fasting meal just with a little bit of nan. Nom.
04 Mar 2013, 11:24
The sweet and sour chicken is absolutely delicious, and SO easy to make. I'm not the best cook but even I can manage that. I actually think it tastes better than most shop bought/takeaway sweet and sours. It freezes well too, although I now leave the peppers out if I'm freezing it and just add those when I'm reheating it, otherwise they go a wee bit soggy.
04 Mar 2013, 12:54
Just decided I am making the jambalaya tonight! Looking forward to it already!

Post dinner update - it was yummy!! We had it without the chorizo as I didn't have any and couldn't be bothered to go to the shop so less calories but didn't seem to have less taste! :like:
07 Mar 2013, 19:33
Just cooking the chilli ready for my fast day tomorrow. Its going to be my first fast where I wait until the evening to eat, slightly nervous about it so thought id prepare something tasty!!
08 Mar 2013, 05:28
We enjoyed the Chilli last Friday, it was really really lovely. xx
08 Mar 2013, 06:56
I had some for my dinner last night, it was really tasty and so simple to make!!
08 Mar 2013, 09:03
We have these on both feast and fast days - really doesn't feel like 'diet' options at all. The taste of everything I've had so far from it has been gorgeous! Not cooked anything from there this week actually (been trying out a few other new recipes from the BBC Good Food app - lots of good stuff on there too!) but will definitely look to give some of the recommendations here a go. So far we've made the chicken and mushroom risotto (lovely, but the portion sizes are pretty small I must say) the spanish chicken (definitely have that again!) and my favourite so far: the easy crispy chicken. DEELISH!
14 Mar 2013, 11:49
Ive also made the leek and potato pasties.....they are sooo good!!
14 Mar 2013, 11:52
I made the paprika chicken yesterday, hub's with chicken and mine with quorn 'chicken fillet'. Plenty of paprika and bags of flavour!!
35 posts Page 1 of 3