The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

18 posts Page 1 of 2
Dumb egg question
10 Mar 2013, 17:00
I'm planning my first fast day tomorrow. Eeek!!

I have looked for the answer to this dumb question without luck. How do you work out the calories in an egg? :oops: In the shell or once it's cracked open and weigh the contents? I buy free range eggs of mixed sizes so can't be guided by the usual medium/large etc
Re: Dumb egg question
10 Mar 2013, 17:01
Reckon you won't go far wrong with calculating them at 100 cals.
Are you using My fitness Pal? It's very good and comprehensive.
10 Mar 2013, 17:57
medium eggs are about 60g in their shell, 90 calories / 7.5g protein. Large ones might be up to a third bigger.
10 Mar 2013, 19:16
just eat it!!

an egg is an egg, the worry about size is surely not worth it. :shock:
10 Mar 2013, 19:52
If you've ever bought free range at a farmers' market, you have seen the size range can be HUGE! If you have a kitchen scale, I'd say it's a good idea to weigh them if you're not sure. You'll learn to eyeball it soon enough :-)
10 Mar 2013, 20:01
the calorie differential is still miniscule in the great scheme of things though.. :wink:
10 Mar 2013, 21:25
Thanks, happy to weigh it and I've got all the calorie stats but what I want to know and can't find out anywhere is the calorie content measured raw and still in shell or not????

I've checked a few sites for calorie content and they range from 60 to 100 calories for an egg. Same for calories in an apple. So if I have an egg and apple for breakfast that could be 120 cals or 200 cals. Which is it? I thought counting calories was straight forward but now I'm confused
10 Mar 2013, 22:24
Looked up egg white (1 large = 17 cal) and egg yolk (1 large = 55 cal) on fat secret, so that suggests a large egg is 72 cal. Does that help?
10 Mar 2013, 22:49
Well yes and no. I usually buy farm free range eggs, but when I can't get them buy large Tesco free range eggs. They give their calorie count at 103.
Eat it, count it as 100 cals (if you're over, it's a bonus) and ENJOY!
10 Mar 2013, 23:44
I count an egg as 80 kcal....in the 4 weeks that I have been doing 5:2 I have eaten 4 eggs on fast days....therefore I could have mis calculated by approx 80kcal over 4 weeks....dont think I will get upset about it !!!....
Ive lost 7 3/4 lbs so the weight of the shell or the size of the egg hasnt made that big a difference?
Relax ....try and stay as close to your 500kcal as you can without worrying about the weight of an egg shell....and good luck with your fast x
11 Mar 2013, 01:05
Hi TartanAli, I'm new too, just on my third fasting day, and I know that for me I want to know pretty much exact cals so I can't fool myself!
The eggs are always marked on the box I find, which would be an average, but I'm guessing the weight includes the shell.
I just had a yummy 60gfree range egg for my Breakfast(at 11.30am here in Oz) with a Rice thin(25cals,) and then 20g strawberries and I've counted that as 140cals.
I'll nibble on celery if I'm hungry before my dinner at 6.30( some steamed chicken and veg) and fruit if there's any cals left!
Good luck with your first day, I'm so happy with the fast diet so far.
11 Mar 2013, 02:41
Hi, Tartan Ali
I've always counted eggs as 80. Some will be more and some less, but I figure it all balances out in the longer term. I don't think it's worth stressing over a few calories here and there as long as you're pretty much along the right lines.
Good luck!
11 Mar 2013, 08:50
Thanks everyone. i know I'm stressing a bit but portion sizes is my biggest enemy when it comes to losing weight so I just want to start off on the right foot. First fast day today. Excited and nervous to be starting a whole new way of looking at eating for health
11 Mar 2013, 09:33
had to scratch the itch - a shell is ~7g or 10% of the egg :grin:
13 Mar 2013, 17:56
Just to complicate things - I used an egg from our own chickens plus a bought egg the other day. Our own egg was much smaller than the bought one, but when they were both cracked into a bowl, the yolk from the "small" egg was almost twice the size of the other one! As the yolk is where nearly all the calories are, that just goes to show that the size of the egg (in its shell) doesn't tell you the whole story!
18 posts Page 1 of 2