The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

36 posts Page 2 of 3
Re: Coconut oil and butter
25 Jul 2013, 20:53
I've been using cocnut oil as a supplement since the start of this thread. I usually have it straight off the spoon (hard from the fridge) and then wash it down with a hot coffee. Today I mixed some up with unsweetened dried coconut and put it into an old ice cube tray to have as fat bombs as I do LCHF /16:8. Haven't tried them yet.

Until today I had only used the oil to cook eggs and wasn't that keen but I remembered PhilT saying it was good on beans. We were having curry for our evening meal and I have courgette ribbons instead of rice so I sauted them in a bit of the coconut oil and they were delicious with the curry sauce.
25 Jul 2013, 21:02
You can actually make coconut butter with shredded coconut in a blender, you just blend until it turns buttery, you only need the oil if that doesn't work (this can happen in certain climates). It takes about 10 mins in my blender, but about 2 in my friend's thermomix.

I use it instead of butter on toast etc, or in baking.
25 Jul 2013, 21:50
I got on a coconut oil phase for awhile a few months back where I was eating extra due to the health benefits (like in my coffee or even by the spoon) but quite honestly, when trying to lose weight, I couldn't afford the extra calories and it slowed my progress, even though they claim it increases metabolism, which I am not so sure. I found it slowed down my weight loss a bit on 4:3. I do drink a bulletproof coffee(Google it) from time to time on a fast day for the energy and sustaining hunger but its about 400 calories, which leaves me very little the rest of the day. With that said, I do cook with coconut oil for dishes that I would regulalry use butter or another type of oil on, but do not go overboard or add any extra just because its coconut oil.

But have heard its great for hair and skin but not ready to go that route.
25 Jul 2013, 22:12
Be brave, it's fab. Coconut butter is delicious but, yes, calories count so restraint is needed. I'm loving it.
Oh. Was that an advert?
Rats. I hate adverts.
To bed. Dentist first thing tomorrow. Hope my home-made toothpaste has had a positive effect on my old molars. (Coconut oil mixed with baking powder.)
:0)
25 Jul 2013, 22:22
I have used coconut oil for a while now on my skin, hair, and in food. I've been reading up on oil pulling lately, but haven't tried it yet. Supposedly, coconut oil makes your teeth really white and your gums healthy...reverses gingivitis, etc.

I love how my skin is cleared up and my face needs no other cleansers or moisturizers with CO.
25 Jul 2013, 22:40
Never thought about using coconut butter or oil for anything other than my skin. I only use it in winter as I found out that bees and wasps love the smell of it as well. I'll have to look into it some more. I have very dry skin and maybe eating it as opposed to using on the skin during summer would still do some good?
25 Jul 2013, 22:46
Here's a recipe to make coconut butter:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/10-tips- ... z2a1YGeJbC
It gives your blender an extreme workout (even more so than peanut butter or dairy butter) and tbh I've only made it once, and decided I'm happy with the oil.
25 Jul 2013, 22:48
Both eating and applying to the skin, coconut oil it meant to have some sun screening benefits. Not sure how much science is in that, I've only found it on more new age style sites, which tend to be a little elastic in their claims in relation to proper science ;)
25 Jul 2013, 22:55
Because of this thread I bought myself some coconut oil. The first time I used it I spread it on a roll, put crispy bacon on top with a dollop of tomato sauce, yes a bacon buttie. I was absolutely delicious. I don't drink coffee but the label said to try it in herbal tea but I wasn't very keen on that as it had a greasy feel. On fast days I have a teaspoon for breakfast and lunch and it seems to keep me going.
25 Jul 2013, 23:57
Clairemarie, that sounds a good idea, as the sleek of oil can look a bit off putting. I am finding the coconut products so sweet, that I am having to keep checking that they have no added sugar!
In this hot weather, my bottle of water for taking out and about has now become coconut milk:water in the ratio 100ml milk:200ml water. I find it very drinkable, as I am not a keen water drinker, as well as tasty and practically carb free, but with approx 7g of healthy coconut oil. Also, no artificial colours or sweeteners. Cheap as chips --- sorry, forget, don't eat chips these days, that is soooooo yesterday.
26 Jul 2013, 00:59
guitar1969, one tablespoon of oil is 120cals. that and a cup of black hot coffee in the blender keeps you full all day. On some fast days that 120cals is a good investment.

140lbs, I tried coconut water and didn't like at all. I will try the coconut milk idea.Thanks
26 Jul 2013, 08:45
I was hoping the coconut butter idea worked for desiccated coconut as I have about 3lbs of desiccated coconut in the cupboard (from when I went totally wheat free and was trying different things out).

Is there anyway of turning the desiccated coconut into butter or anything else for that matter?
26 Jul 2013, 08:55
140lbs wrote: @Clairemarie, my bottle of water for taking out and about has now become coconut milk:water in the ratio 100ml milk:200ml water. I find it very drinkable, as I am not a keen water drinker, as well as tasty and practically carb free, but with approx 7g of healthy coconut oil. Also, no artificial colours or sweeteners. Cheap as chips --- sorry, forget, don't eat chips these days, that is soooooo yesterday.

is that coco milk from a can? or powdered stuff made up into milk, do you add the coco oil too?

jeniben
26 Jul 2013, 08:57
Hi Juliethome!
On the first page of this thread there is a post by 139lbs (aka140 lbs) with a recipe for using up dessicated coconut - I made it myself and it is yummy! I have it on eating days as a dessert, it is creamy and very filling - a little goes a long way. Kids love it too!
36 posts Page 2 of 3