The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

44 posts Page 3 of 3
They make me blow up like a balloon - not a pretty sight. So, no, not for me.
avocado and prawns sounds yummy! I will have to have some :) (but not on a fast day as you're right about them being high in calories)

I love avocados with soft cheese... is that weird? :)
Yum!
I love them mashed on toast with cracked pepper, or eaten as a dip when on hols- so easy using carrot or celery sticks and eaten straight from the fruit!
Love, love, love 'em!

Ballerina x :heart:
with prawns but also with grapefruits and tomatoes, it makes a lovely summer salad
I also love them with prawns :heart: :heart: but also with just a little olive oil to moisten dribbled into the convenient hollow :grin: They are higher in calories than other fruit so I don't eat them as often as I would like. But as I'm going grocery shopping today I will look out for some.
I have a terrible confession to make - I have never tried an avocado, until today. I had one with prawns on a bed of spinach with a drizzle of harissa dressing and a dollop of mayo for lunch. It was a very nice lunch but because of the harissa I couldn't taste the flavour of the avocado just got the creamy texture.

Can you tell me what I should be looking out for in a ripe avocado. The one I had did have brown bits in it which I cut out, I suspect it was a bit soft and overripe.
The best way to see if an avocado is ripe is to pull out the stalk, if it comes away easily it's ripe, but if it's hard to pull leave it where it is and put the avocado in a fruit bowl for a couple of days before trying again.
gillymary wrote: Avocados . My parents loved them so I acquired the taste for them very young, spread on a Plain cracker with lemon squeezed over and cracked pepper is the way to learn to like them @Wineoclock Agree yummy on toasted sourdough and with prawns and smoked salmon. Always have one ready to go in our house.

Try to buy ones some idiot has not squeezed the daylight out of, grrrr, hate those senseless thumb mark bruises, you can tell if an avocado is ripe just by looking at it. Every avocado squeezed is ruined for the next person who buys it.

So I buy green. If not in the fruit bowl as they darken they migrate to fridge, would use avocado every day in some way. Like a banana they are such a wonderful package from nature. Would appreciate recipe @rawkaren. Also juiced beet root is the best ... I know why you persist despite OH. All that lovely pink juice everywhere, beautiful colour and so great for you

Big apology to@wineoclock. I have been distracted this week. I have just been raiding all of my raw food 'cookbooks', and I think I might have found it courtesy of Kate Wood, Eat Smart, Eat Raw, plus a few touches of my own added.

Anyway I will give you what I would do if I was making it this afternoon PLUS, I found another avocado pudding you might like :victory: :

Chocolate Mousse. Makes 2 servings (they are rich!)
2 large very ripe avos
2-3 tablespoons of cacao or pure cocoa powder
3 large medjool dates pitted (fresh ones are better than dried, so soak the dried ones for a couple of hours to soften)
Tiny pinch of salt
1 tspn vanilla extract

Combine the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Serve in a chilled short glass or small glass bowl. Play with the cocoa and date quantities until you get the chocolate and sweetness level you desire.

Avo Pudding. Serves Two
1 avo
2 bananas
1-2 pieces of fresh fruit of your choice

Chuck it all in the food process or blender and blend away until you get a smooth creamy puree.

Devour greedily :lol: :lol: :lol:
wildmissus wrote: I have a terrible confession to make - I have never tried an avocado, until today. I had one with prawns on a bed of spinach with a drizzle of harissa dressing and a dollop of mayo for lunch. It was a very nice lunch but because of the harissa I couldn't taste the flavour of the avocado just got the creamy texture.

Can you tell me what I should be looking out for in a ripe avocado. The one I had did have brown bits in it which I cut out, I suspect it was a bit soft and overripe.

Better late than never!

i hate those brown bits. i always think the taste ruins the whole avocado even if you do cut it out.

if you can find a good one there should be no brown bits at all.

the fruit shops hate when customers feel them for ripeness but there is no other way. my thougth is that if it even slightly caves to touch its overripe unless your lucky and you can eat it in the day. definitely not a keeper. once ripe its gotta be consumend.

my fave recipe is guacamole but you can do it the "healthy" non sour cream way which i think is a bit of a travesty on avocados for the western consumer.

just mash and add any of the following

chilli flakes or chopped chilli
spring onions
fresh coriander chopped
salt and pepper
lime or lemon juice
chopped red onions
tomatoes (but not essential)

probably a good recipe to follow. just over 100 calories a serve so great for a fast day http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9088 ... -guacamole
I forgot to say @wineoclock, if you can get young white coconut meat (the jelly stuff), you can replace the avos with it and make a choc mousse with that instead. You would need a couple of coconuts to replace two avos.
I had avocado prawns with a home made sauce and salady bits for supper last night. Yummy, 500 Cal's and 15 carbs. I do like occasional Saturday nights in on my own.
I like avos with cream cheese too.

Just surfing and came across this...

http://www.mercola.com/infographics/avo ... nefits.htm
44 posts Page 3 of 3