The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

44 posts Page 1 of 3
I confess; I love them, but rarely eat them.
However, my resolve is to eat them more often, as I'm trying to include a few more oily foods in my diet. I've just had a half avocado, with some prawns... yum!
I'm no nutritionalist, but I believe they are good for you, albeit, they are fairly high in calories.

What's your verdict on them?
Love em... when you can get one that is ripe and tasty ! not the forced riped ones in the supermarkets !

Yes, high in cals, but also lots of goodness with them. I don't have them very often, but enjoy it when I do :)
I posted an article a few weeks ago about the benefits of avocados, peanut butter,mushrooms and I don't remember what else. I love half an avocado on toast for breakfast, it full of good fat

Here's the link to the article I was talking about

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/diet.fitness/11/06/cl.healthful.foods/
They're good for you, they have protein, high in HDL (good fat), have omega 3 fats and some vitamins.

They have a high calorific value (half an avocado = 160 calories) and have high fat content which is why they had a bad reputation in the 90s with the "low fat diet" fads ...
I love them, and often mash half an avocado on toast instead of butter. I also love peanut butter and mushrooms so I like the sound of your article Manderley!
Mmmmm...avocados! :drool:
Love them but seldom eat due to finding ripe ones when I feel like buying them is like finding a raw diamond in the Stockholm archipelago.....
I do love a good guacamole, but the yummiest war was told by my Braziliann BIL - some raw sugar and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Yummy in my tummy. :)
Very fond of avocados, but tend to forget I have bought them and end up cutting brown bits out of squashy fruit. Knowing this I recently bought 'ripe and ready' fruits from Tesco that insisted they be kept in the fridge, which I did until their sell-by date. They were rock hard & inedible, so I took them back for a refund. and bought a ripe avocado that is still in the fridge, probably very brown by now...
Love 'em! And they're good for you!
love them - BUT my one grip is while they are high in good fats they don't keep me full. I have half a one in the fridge which I will eat tomorrow to break my fast.

BTW cI have bananas that were going too black so I chucked them in the freezer as someone told me to do that before. Just thinking though - can they only be used in smoothies etc now or can they be eaten after defrosting?
mmmmm I just found this recipe

Arrested Development Frozen Bananas

Print

Prep Time
2 hours

Cook Time
10 mins

Total Time
2 hours 10 mins

Inspired by the frozen banana stand in the television show Arrested Development, these chocolate covered frozen bananas are the perfect summer treat.
Author: Katherine Martinelli
Recipe Type: Dessert
Cuisine: American
Yield: 6 servings

Ingredients

3 bananas, peeled and halved
5 oz (150g) chocolate (I prefer dark chocolate)
Finely chopped peanuts or other nuts (optional)

Directions

Insert popsicle sticks into each of the banana halves and put on a parchment-lined sheet. Freeze, uncovered, for at least two hours or overnight.
Once the bananas are frozen, gently melt the chocolate in a double boiler (I rig one by putting a heat-proof metal bowl over a small pot of simmering water). Alternately, microwave the chocolate until melted.
Carefully dip a banana half in chocolate so it is evenly covered, roll in nuts (if using), and hold upright for about 30 seconds, until the chocolate has set (it happens very quickly!). Set down on the parchment-lined sheet and repeat with the remaining bananas and chocolate.
Serve immediately or freeze until ready to eat.

Notes
Vegan and Parve with dark or otherwise dairy free chocolate. Vegetarian. Gluten Free.

For a fun party treat or bite-sized snack any time, slice the bananas into coins instead of halves and put a toothpick in them, then continue with the recipe as directed.

WordPress Recipe Plugin by EasyRecipe
Avocado, I love them, its a subtle taste that no one else in the family can get. I had a problem with them when younger and they were first coming into the country as I thought they were a fruit and expected them to be sweet and juicy. So my first experience with them was disappointing. But once I realised they were of the nut family I tried them again and slotted the taste into the proper taste file and have loved them ever since.

I used to love them with prawns and marie rose sauce, but I've gone off prawns, so can't eat it like that any more. Guacamole is still nice to have with crackers and crudities alongside salsa and soured cream.
Wonderful and lovely and I ate one for breakfast with a squeeze of lemon juice. Scrumptious.
If it's hard when purchased, pop it into a brown paper bag (yes, that specific) and leave it out, not in the fridge, for a day or two or three and it will ripen beautifully.
Remember it's there!!
Love them! Calories maybe high but it's all good! Nom nom with salad and prawns :grin:
If you exercise and eat clean, it's important to have enough calories and definitely enough good fats to build muscle and keep the connective tissues in good condition. I eat a lot more of these now, even though my eating clean attempts are intermittent!
44 posts Page 1 of 3