The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

35 posts Page 2 of 3
Re: What goes into your salad?
14 Oct 2013, 15:02
On a similar note has anyone got any nice low Cal dressing recipes?
14 Oct 2013, 15:10
A creamy one would be philly light with milk blended, herbs, garlic and lemon added.
A Sweet one is balsamic with honey, garlic, chilli and basil
Asian one is soy, garlic grated ginger, sesame seeds, coriander, lime juice and a touch of sesame plus chilli if you like it hot.
Then there is good old fashioned, lemon juice and salt.
14 Oct 2013, 18:09
rawkaren wrote: Hi Abbe. If you replace your feta with butter beans in your tomato and chorizo salad, you have a classic spanish dish! Yum!

Oh NICE! I luuuuuuurve butterbeans - hadn't thought of doing that. Thankyou :grin:
14 Oct 2013, 18:42
Abbe wrote:
rawkaren wrote: Hi Abbe. If you replace your feta with butter beans in your tomato and chorizo salad, you have a classic spanish dish! Yum!

Oh NICE! I luuuuuuurve butterbeans - hadn't thought of doing that. Thankyou :grin:

Sherry vinegar though, not balsamic :grin:
15 Oct 2013, 09:56
But... but... but.... WHHHHHY?
15 Oct 2013, 10:18
Try it! Not as sweet but real depth of flavour.
15 Oct 2013, 10:24
I ate my favourite salad tonight: baby spinach and rocket leaves, roasted sweet potato, roasted Spanish onion, Beetroot, goats cheese and a dressing of caramelised balsamic vinegar and olive oil - yummy!

Love some of the suggestions in this thread!
15 Oct 2013, 10:32
I am a lemon addict so my salad dressing is often made with olive oil and lemon. When I need a creamy note, I make a dressing with fat free yoghurt and mustard for a bit of a kick

On fast days I would put tuna or salmon, tomatoes, iceberg lettuce, cucumber, olives. I also have canned mixed veg with corn, only 50 cal when drained, and I put tuna or sardines with the juice of the sardines (lemon and basil marinade)

On other days I often do pastas, rice or quinoa salads with a bit of everything on it, well, what I find and what I crave at the time. No rules, really
15 Oct 2013, 11:23
Hi this is a lovely thread

I grow veggies mainly to use in freshly picked salads. Rocket, parsley, chives, herbs such as coriander basil, kale, carvo nero, prefer small cos, capsicum, tomatoes, cabbage, celery, cucumber, carrot, sprouts, fennel. Radicchio. All of this I cut rather finely or tear into smaller bits or pick as small leaves give it a good wash and toss so it is all threaded through each other. I might make a salsa separate with the tomato cucumber olive oil and lime juice. I try to make dressings but keen for ideas too here. Salads are wonderful all year around in our house
15 Oct 2013, 11:29
I like a warm winter salad of roasted squash & red onion (maybe dusted with some cumin or paprika before roasting), with some spinach/rocket, chickpeas and maybe some feta or creamy blue cheese mmm. And a nice autumnal dressing of maple & orange juice (or lemon) with some olive oil. If I go easy on the cheese & oil, it's a good fast day option and surprisingly filling.

Good suggestions Karen, with that and your cake thread, we are very inspired here today!
15 Oct 2013, 11:38
Green monster that salad sounds devine I am making that ASAP
15 Oct 2013, 12:46
Nom Nom Nom Greenmonster. Thank you :cool:
16 Oct 2013, 08:54
Here's what I did last night for dinner

Warm Spinach and Basil Salad

serves 6
Salad Ingredients

6 cups fresh spinach leaves
2 cups fresh basil leaves (1 large bunch)
½ cup best-quality olive oil
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
½ cup pine nuts
4 ounces prosciutto, diced
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
¾ freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Directions

Toss the spinach and basil together in a large salad bowl.

Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and pine nuts and saute until nuts begin to brown slightly. Stir in prosciutto and cook 1 minute more Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Toss spinach and basil with warm dressing and sprinkle salad with Parmesan. Serve immediately

It was yummy :heart:
16 Oct 2013, 09:51
Manderlay was that a fast day? Sounds lovely will def try it thanks
16 Oct 2013, 10:26
It was a fast day, yes. I was supposed to do a liquid fast but, as we had some guests last night, I made that warm salad instead. The difference is the others had a dessert and I didn't :wink:
35 posts Page 2 of 3