The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

23 posts Page 1 of 2
Despite Barenaked Foods' valiant attempt to make a nicer version of konjac noodles, I'm still finding myself unable to tolerate these slim pasta/zero noodles/barenaked noodles. Yes, it's great that they bulk out a meal, it's nice that they fill you up but I can't stand the texture - and some of the brands smell so horrid and fishy. I just don't get on with them, tried them in stirfries, tried them as pasta. Do. Not. Like.

However, it occurred to me that perhaps a product might appeal to me if it was half konjac, half pasta. No, it wouldn't be as low carb or as low calorie, but it should be half the calories of normal pasta and ought to taste rather better (and have a nicer texture) than the kind which are currently on the market.

I for one would be only too happy to have a normal size portion of pasta, but for half the calories/carbs.

So today I tweeted Barenaked Foods with the idea - they replied to say:
That's an interesting thought, thanks for highlighting! We'll have a chat with Barenaked HQ.... ; )

and have retweeted my idea... so who knows, perhaps they'll actually look into it.

So, is this a product you'd be interested in too? If so, it might be worth tweeting them to show there's demand!
NO! NO! Pasta shouldn't be tampered with, it's wrong on so many levels. Konjac is the devil's food as far as I'm concerned, it ruins anything it comes into contact with. There's a huge world of real food out there, that stuff isn't fit for man nor beast! Sorry, can you tell I'm not a fan? :curse:
Haha, I'm no konjac noodle fan either - but part of me thinks that if blended somehow with pasta it could just make the pasta a bit more al-dente while reducing calories. Maybe.

Then again, I had high hopes for the Barenaked Noodles and they disappointed me.
I've never tried them but they sound truly horrific-
I might be interesting in a hybrid version of them though for sure!
The Japanese side of me is crying. I absolutely love the noodles and eat them cause I like the taste and not due to the low calorie (that is just an added bonus). It needs a strong flavoured sauce or broth I imagine for those who dont like the texture.
We had slim noodles for tea, the fettuccini ones, with bolognese. We enjoyed them. They gave a texture to bolognese which we have missed!
I'd never even heard of these products before I joined this forum and I still had no idea where to buy them until I wandered into a certain UK health food shop last week. I didn't buy any of them as they all come in two-portion packs and I live in a solo household. I'm trying to stay off carbs anyway and that's not a hardship two days a week, so I woudn't be tempted by some ersatz skinny versions. I'd rather just enjoy the real thing on non-fast days.

And now that I've read your descriptions of the smell and texture I'm even less tempted!
Hi I've not tried them yet because you moogie + other members put me off them when you said they smelt fishy :shock: Sue
I'm in the For camp with konjac noodles. Rinse, boil, rinse, add to stir fries. I tend to flavour stir fries quite strongly anyway so any fishy flavour left is masked. Low cal, big bulk - as far as I'm concerned, they're a gift from the God of Full Tummies :)
No, one or the other. The konjac noodles/pasta upset my stomach for some reason so I can't eat them which is annoying as I would like to add them to my fast day 'arsenal', but no, I love pasta to much!!
I would be interested in a 50/50 Moogie. I don't mind the konjac noodles, but my husband cannot tolerate them. I would look forward to a better texture with 50/50. I will text them. :)
I like konjac noodles and I like pasta; n'er the twain shall meet, in my book. Either one or t'other.
Miracle noodles are a miracle! I LOVE carbs and while they're not the real thing, I don't really care when I can be full to the brim on 20 calories :D
I do enjoy the rice more although it's harder to track down.
Lil :heart:
I wouldn't eat them. For me, there is no point. On my fast days, I don't eat at all. On my non-fasting days I eat healthy, unprocessed (ie not over processed - I'm aware you can hair split that into "oh so you do realise cheese is processed blah blah blah") food and don't worry about calories.
I'm terrified of them, frankly, and I would never consider eating them. I'd rather have just veggies and then real pasta on a splurge day.
23 posts Page 1 of 2