The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Thank you @CandiceMariefor the link. I read the article right to the end and, although I can agree with many of the physical effects of fasting he described (and nothing new there, really), I am afraid that the spiritual/emotional/mental aspects left me rather unmoved. It was all a bit 'mumbo-jumbo' to me, although I'm sure that for more religious people than me, it may have some resonance. Interesting though! :smile:
Thanks Stowy @stowgateresident for reading and commenting x
I havent read it properly yet,saving it for tomorrow in the hopes it will inspire me to do a 4:3 week this week!
I must say as a lapsed Catholic who in childhood was forced to fast - from teatime til after Mass next morning - so i could receive Holy Communion ( and with fainting children often being carried from church!) i am not keen on religious aspect of fasting either.
Fasting often gives me a sense of mental wellbeing and a feelgood factor tho...Other times it's just a pain in the neck ! :confused: x
Thank you CandiceMarie, for this link. I am doing my long Lent fast with an eating window (20:4) and this article helps me to carry on. Think positively about the benefits of fasting while you struggle to keep at it... as he says in the article.
I am not Catholic, and medically children SHOULD NOT fast at all. Horrors.
But I am a Christian and I do have a Spiritual side to my Lenten fasting. Fasting removes the 'flesh', so to speak from our encounter with God. When fasting I find it so much easier to pray and just to concentrate on the presence of God. Yea, if you haven't experienced this, it is impossible to explain. But it is something very beautiful :smile:
It is good to be reminded of all the health benefits, too. Thanks!
Very interesting article, @CandiceMarie

Another raised catholic here, who spent 8 years of her scholarship with nuns as teachers and had to fast quite regularly, so I won't look at the religious side of that however I can see a spiritual connexion. Fasting really helped me to find some peace and some balance after my dad died, it helped me to deal with the pain so I agree with the superhuman emotions, will power, senses and clarity. Not so sure about superhuman health and not sure at all about sleep, I am as much as an insomniac as I was before. It didn't get worse, that's a plus :wink:
@margotsylvia ( your name is so pretty!) I totally respect your feelings re a spiritual aspect and I' m glad the article is helping with yr Lenten 20:4 days x
@manderley i' m so glad fasting helped you find some peace when you were going through such a rough time. I agree re health benefits..fasting hasnt done anything to help alleviate my poor health or my poor sleep patterns ( except to keep me awake due to growly stomach!) but i do think it improves our health in less obvious ways and longterm we will benefit greatly. I love the next mornings feelgood factor of pleased with self and lovely rested tum! x
Hey @candicemarie. Thanks for posting this. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am not religious but can attest to some of the spiritual benefits and also gaining greater mental clarity. I found his tips to make fasting more pleasurable very helpful and insightful.
7 posts Page 1 of 1