The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

12 posts Page 1 of 1
4:3 or not ???
06 Nov 2013, 16:08
Hi all, I'm doing my first 4:3 this week and I'm on the 3rd fastday. I decided to go on to 4:3 for a few weeks because on 5:2 my weight seemed to be sneaking up, and I didn't know why. Anyway today I got my monthly visitor (a week early) and have now put the extra weight down to this. Has anyone else noticed a change in their monthlys? Now I know why I gained weight, should I have changed to 4:3? I'm a bit worried, if I'm doing 4:3 will it make the loss slower when I go back on to 5:2? I'm not sure I want to do 4:3 long term. Today I've only had half a cup of homemade soup, about 50cals max and I don't feel hungry so could do the fast but think maybe it should be a 16:8. I've made a lovely veg curry for dinner and I'm trying the collie rice, so very low cal dinner planned. Do you think I should stick to the 500cals or make it a 16:8? Thanks for any advice. :)
Dee
Re: 4:3 or not ???
06 Nov 2013, 16:42
I do mainly 5:2, but have done 4:3's here and there before eg holiday . I seem to lose a bit more with 4:3, and then go back to normal loss with 5:2, but like you, would not be keen to do 4:3 long term.
The advice seems to be to mix it up sometimes, and I'm doing a sort of 16:8 today, but with the calories of a normal day, just because that is how today worked out.
You've got so far today, I'd eat your curry and cauli rice, but then revert to 5:2.
There was a thread about periods, but I can't remember the outcome, but it might be worth searching for it!
06 Nov 2013, 17:02
Thanks Annurca. I will stay on my fast today as it's almost done and it can't hurt. But I think I'm going to stay on 5:2 with a few 16:8s a week too. I'll have a look for that thread :)
Dee
06 Nov 2013, 17:14
Oh JustDee how funny. I was in a similar dilemma to you and was going to do 4:3 this week. Bit I woke feeling tired this morning (my poor little dog was poorly in the night :-( ) so I decided against it this week. Then I thought we'll hang on a minute the 5:2 way is working wonders and is so easy...why complicate matters and do something that might put me off because it's that much more challenging?

Just like you, I am so bloated and heavy at that dreaded time of the month so I avoid the scales until it's over!

I guess what I'm saying (in such a long winded way) is that if I was you I'd stick with 5:2 and use 4:3 for emergencies only :-)
06 Nov 2013, 17:22
Hi@justdee the link to the 16/8 thread is on my signature, below, hope it helps

Ballerina x :heart:
06 Nov 2013, 17:38
I've done a couple of weeks of 4:3 when the weight loss had slowed down, it worked for me, it put me back on track but I couldn't do it long term.

I can't help with the monthly question, I no longer have that problem, mine stopped many years ago and I was glad to see the back of them. One of the few advantages of being 'a certain age' :wink:
06 Nov 2013, 17:41
Lucky you Coffeetime!! :-)
06 Nov 2013, 17:59
:heart: Hi Dee. :heart:
Your decision is probably already made regarding fast.
Just go with what feels right at the time/day :heart:
My advice as you know is to mix it up and you
will have done that already. However throwing in a couple of days @ 16:8 Will also give you the mix and confuse your body and with TTOTM well thats your reason for the gain, i've lost weight doing very cautious 16:8.
Good Luck :clover: Sue. :clover:
06 Nov 2013, 18:29
I love 16.8 more than 4.3. But yes a mixture is great. Not wanting to make you jealous but in four weeks I won't have any more TOTM. Yipeeeee one of the benefits of my impending hysterectomy.
06 Nov 2013, 18:50
carieoates wrote: I love 16.8 more than 4.3. But yes a mixture is great. Not wanting to make you jealous but in four weeks I won't have any more TOTM. Yipeeeee one of the benefits of my impending hysterectomy.

All the very best with the op :like: :clover:

I might end up PMing you one day as I might have to go through this myself next year. Currently its being put off whilst the surgeon resolves some issues I am having... with a small op in December.. after having an op last year for the same thing :confused:
06 Nov 2013, 19:10
So when I had my cycle...for 2 weeks my weight was up 3.5 pounds...Now that its totally over..I am back to my lowest weight on here..and should be fine from here on out.. I am thinking when you have your cycle..the few days before..and few days after.. (for me 2 weeks) ....weight will be higher..For me..as long as I know the reason..I dont freak out
06 Nov 2013, 19:46
Thanks for all your comments, very helpful. I decided to stick to 4:3 for this week as I've almost done and I don't feel hungry. It's weigh in for me tomorrow but I don't know what it's going to be (being TTOTM). I will be doing some 16:8s and the odd 4:3 to mix it up. I think I'll feel more at ease with the gains when I've been doing this for a few more months and get into the swing of how things change for me.
Good luck with the ops @carieoates and @Minigill . I wish you both a speedy recovery.
I'm the same @mgmlap If I know why, I'm fine with a gain. I don't think I've ever been so happy to get my monthly. I hope my weight drops back down when it's gone.
Dee :)
12 posts Page 1 of 1