The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

6 posts Page 1 of 1
4:3....
13 Apr 2016, 08:17
How many of you do 4:3 or have dipped into it at some point?
Are there extra health benefits to doing 4:3 as opposed to 5:2. Is weight loss better?
I am on week 2. Last week I did 5:2 but this week I am thinking of fasting for 3 days. I fasted on Monday and would like to fast today and then Friday.
Would just like to know your views...

Thanks
Re: 4:3....
13 Apr 2016, 13:51
Charlie10 wrote: How many of you do 4:3 or have dipped into it at some point?
Are there extra health benefits to doing 4:3 as opposed to 5:2. Is weight loss better?
I am on week 2. Last week I did 5:2 but this week I am thinking of fasting for 3 days. I fasted on Monday and would like to fast today and then Friday.
Would just like to know your views...

Thanks

What? 17 reads and no reply?

Numerically 5:2 represents a 21% total weekly calorie reduction. 4:3 is 32%. ADF is 38%. The projected weight loss difference between them per week is .9 , 1.3, and 1.5 pounds.

From a real-world practical perspective the actual weight loss numbers are going to vary, though are typically less. For example, the general expectation for 5:2 is around 1/2 pound to 1 pound a week. Why? The success of any weight loss method very much depends on consistency with the process and on the type of foods eaten. Intermittent fasting is no different.

The need for consistency is obvious. By why food types? Fat, carbs and protein have different effects on the body's insulin secretion. Insulin stops fat-burning in favor of fat-storage for many hours after eating. And it does this every time. Insulin is THE controlling factor over hunger. Carbohydrates cause insulin to surge far more than protein (barely) or fat(the least). This means that snacks, nibbling or spreading fast day calories across the day keeps insulin in control, not you. Controlling carbs controls the hunger, allows fat to be used as the energy source it was intended to be all along. (Fear not. Carb restriction is not forever.)

Health benefit differences between them are slight.

5:2 and 4:3 allow schedule flexibility. By definition ADF doesn't; every other day is every other day. But that doesn't mean you can't change things up whenever needed.

So the choice becomes one of scheduling flexibility and conviction. While IF is an effective weight loss tool having many healthful side effects that other systems lack, it isn't a one time weight loss, go back to your old way of eating system. Maintaining a truly healthful weight forever means permanently changing what you eat and when, to what your body actually needs rather than what the mind desires.

Edit: minor wording change.
13 Apr 2016, 17:02
I've been doing 4:3 since I started this WOL in Jan 2013 and have continued it into maintenance. The only time I don't fast is when I am on holiday and I'll drop to 2 days a week when I have social commitments (generally around Christmas). I generally fast Monday, Thursday and Saturday.

For me, fasting three days a week suits me and means I can eat a bit more on the other days. I do find that I can put weight on quite quickly, when I don't fast on holiday, but I also find that it comes off reasonably quickly once I start fasting again. I guess it's about being disciplined about sticking to the fasting on a regular basis. It's certainly paid off for me and I am totally happy with my weight loss and being able to maintain it.
13 Apr 2016, 17:18
Some information from a couple of years ago is found in this analysis from site members that were involved in a questionnaire.
See: post126655.html?hilit=statistical%20analysis#p126655

In case of difficulty of downloading the paper. The main result on this issue:
"The main weight loss effect of fasting is of course through the reduction of calories on fast
days. This would imply that doing 3 instead of 2 fast days a week would be expected to make
a difference. The 7 women that fast on 3 days (4:3 rather than 5:2) have an average weight
loss of 0.66 kg, the other 121 women fasting on 2 days have a loss of 0.47 kg. The
magnitude of this difference is in the order of what could be expected calculating calorie
reduction only. Unfortunately the number of women on 4:3 is so small that the effect is not
significant in the final analysis, when the other relevant variables are taken into account. This
does not mean that there is no effect, it only means that it does not show in the results when
only 7 women are compared to the other 121. In order to assess the relative influence of 3
fasting days, taking into account the influence of other variables, we need data from more
women using this strategy."
13 Apr 2016, 19:02
Thanks @charlie10 for asking this question and thanks @ADFnFuel and@P-JK for the info! I feel more clued up on 4:3 now..i didnt really know much about it tho i have tried it a few times x
Well done @Chris P and nice to see you xx
17 Apr 2016, 01:55
I have been doing 4-3 for a month now only because I over eat on the weekend and ruin any weight loss I had from 5-2. My 3rd day is flexible (if I have a family event or something then I just count calories) because my 3rd day is Saturday.
6 posts Page 1 of 1