The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

9 posts Page 1 of 1
5:2 and Alcohol
11 Nov 2014, 19:16
I started my 5:2 journey last Monday and fasted that day and on Thursday. I was down 4.25 lbs on the Friday morning but had had a glass of wine on the Thursday. I had a weigh in on Sunday morning, which was probably not good,as I'd attended a family birthday party on Friday night and another celebration on Saturday and although my food intake was good, I drank alcohol on both occasions.... the scales jumped from Friday to Sunday by 4lbs.... is this normal?
I'm now wondering if the alcohol was to blame and does it wipe out any good work even if I stick to my calorie levels? and is it ok to consume alcohol whilst on fast days?

Or is this just what happens when you first begin fasting ie fluctuations because of water etc
Re: 5:2 and Alcohol
11 Nov 2014, 19:40
Speaking only from my own experience. I lose more weight when not drinking.
See my sober for October thread. Guaranteed 1lb a week for me when not having red wine. :frown:
I have read somewhere on here that calories from alcohol will be burnt in favour of those from food. Tagging @rawkaren and @carorees as I think it was one of them who stated this fact.
11 Nov 2014, 19:51
Thanks so much for your response @carieoates , I know I'd loose more if I cut out the red wine but just need to get my head around that :(
11 Nov 2014, 19:54
@carieoates. It might have been me http://www.livestrong.com/article/28026 ... t-burning/. This is the simple version but @carorees might have the expert version up her sleeve! I have virtually stopped but unfortunately it has not made any difference to my rate of loss :bugeyes: :bugeyes: I think there is other research around that says that drinkers weigh less http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/0 ... ight/?_r=0
11 Nov 2014, 21:14
This is so interesting guys.... its odd to believe that drinkers weigh less but I'm also thinking on the other side of the penny and looking at the health benefits long term too but my main question to every one is - how does Alcohol affect us whilst fasting for weight loss, apart from the calories consumed, are there other things that affect us loosing weight if we continue to consume any alcohol on fast days?

:smile:
11 Nov 2014, 23:00
I don't think alcohol will necessarily prevent weight loss. I'm sure a fair few of us here have some wine or whatever on some non-fast days. I know if I drink too much, I get the munchies, so I try to avoid that.

Your weight bobbing around a lot could be due to water retention. It's unlikely that after 2 fasts you lost 4 lbs of fat. That would be a 14000 cal deficit. If some of it was water weight (from burning glycogen stores) it will come right back when you eat normally and refill glycogen stores.
12 Nov 2014, 00:29
Now that makes so much sense to me .... expected to bob up and down but was worried that alcohol would wipe out any good work i do
12 Nov 2014, 03:52
Just to add my two cents to the mix, Raggy. While I will weigh myself after fast days (out of curiousity) , I don't count that as "real" weight lost (or get too excited :) ), because that will mostly jump back up once you start eating and drinking water, etc.
I only compare non-fast day weights to see if there's a loss, i.e. Monday am to Monday am.
I limit my alcohol intake because of calories and it tends to make me more inclined to cheat, but allow a glass on the weekends only.
12 Nov 2014, 09:11
Thanks everyone,
Think I will try to just drink on weekends and see how I get on
9 posts Page 1 of 1