The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

10 posts Page 1 of 1
5:2 Essentials or Sneaky Tips?
25 Jan 2014, 16:50
I was thinking about how I don't think I could get through fasting days without coffee and pickles (no, I'm not pregnant!) I'm curious what other people find are things they can't get through a fast day without and what food items are little tips for busy days or days when you just need a little something to get you through? Since I work full time I am always at work when I'm fasting so I've discovered some things that work for me that I can pick up at the grocery store and have on hand.

Here's my full list...

[*]Coffee with milk
[*]Lots of Water
[*]Chicken/beef broth
[*]Smoked almonds (a good, filling , and flavorful snack and they come in "100 calorie packs" in the US) I often have these for "lunch"
[*]Microwave popcorn (also come in 100 cal packs)
[*]Pickles (I know it sounds weird but dill pickles only have about 10 calories each. I'll sometimes eat 3 and they are really quite filling)
[*]Low calorie bread (45 calories, can put laughing cow or peanut butter on for a 100 calorie lunch or snack)
[*]Frozen blueberries (I let myself have a small amount of these, still frozen, while I watch TV with hubs before bed while he eats chocolate!)

Other essentials???
For me, it's coffee w/splash of milk and Better than Bouillon brand Vegetable Bouillon, so much more flavor than the chicken haven't opened the beef one yet.
I just need the coffee for lunch and lots of water.
Miso soup, fizzy water with lime/lemon, and if I'm really desperate, sugar free gum.
Yes, sparkling water! And gum, me too MaryAnn, I need sugar free gum now and then. I also like a cup of broth, it's a nice breaking fast treat! In the summer I also enjoyed the frozen berries, they are a wonderful way to have a low cal dessert!
Coffee
Fizzy water
Gum
Zero noodles
Black coffee, miso, chewing gum and a variety of herbal teas (peppermint and liqourice tea predominantly)
Gum! Must try that! I do get very "mouthy"
sometimes during a fast - just ask my fingernails!

Mine are - mineral water with a touch of lime, tetley's decaf green tea with pomegranate (according to Steve Boutcher, green tea helps flick the switch to fat burning), Tassal salmon with frozen veg & a huge pile of wilted baby spinach. That's it!
Fruit teas (orange and cinnamon, lemon and ginger, berry), Lady Grey tea and black coffee.

I alternate between the above when hunger calls!
Well i've just had three fasts - but my tips..
vegetable stock (16 cals)
celestrial herb teas (bengal spice yum)
decaf tea with little bit of measured milk
green tea
baked eggplant (35 cals for half)
apple (80)
I blended my cauliflower soup last night. Not going to do that again as I need the bite in a soup otherwise I will think of it as a *snack* and not a meal.
I spent 200 cals on 100gm smoked salmon last night. Hmmm not sure I will repeat that - it vanishes in the mouth. Shall cook salmon next time. :)
10 posts Page 1 of 1