The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

5 posts Page 1 of 1
5:2 for a shift worker
24 Sep 2013, 23:18
Hi Folks,

I'm a newbie and quite intertested in this concept after watching Dr Molsley's program. I have also bought the book and made a start into it.

I work a 12hr shift pattern that is a mix between days and nights. I have a question regarding this that I hope someone can answer.

If I have breakfast at say 4-5am before the end of my last night shift then consume only 600 calories between then and breakfast time the next day say 8-9am does that count as a fast day. This would be 600cals in a 28hr period. With 200 cals just before it started.

I don't have much to lose - My weight flucuates between 12.5 - 13 stone. 12st 7lbs just now. Target is about 11st 7lbs so a stone to lose. I did this last year with cutting down to 1500 cals per day and some gym time. All went back on with the summer hols/bbqs and vino. Fancy doing something more sustainable this time that still allows for some vices. McDs and Beer occasionally :smile:
Re: 5:2 for a shift worker
25 Sep 2013, 02:52
Welcome to the forum Marco! The eating program you are discribing seems to be just a 24 hour fast including fast calories, which means for the most part you are only skipping one meal. I can't comment on shift work but I do think that you can find a better way to restrict calories for a 36 hour period and have better results. This is not a fast weight loss method but a sustainable and long term one.
25 Sep 2013, 20:52
Hi marco and welcome!

I would suggest that you start your fast day from when you wake up in the afternoon, have your 600 calories between then and when you go to bed the following morning and then eat normally when you get up later that day. That should give you around 36 hours with just 600 calories which is what you want to be aiming for.

Let us know how you get on! :)
26 Sep 2013, 14:23
Thanks to you both I get the 36hrs thing now.

The plan you have for nights seems straight forward and I can imagine I could stick to it without much of a problem. Could have a decent breakfast before going to bed at 0500h probably porridge and toast. Go to bed at 0730h so fast starts, sleep till 1500h then eat 400 calorie dinner, probably m&s fuller longer about 8pm. Then porridge again before bed at 5am 200 calories. Then sleep til 1300-1400h the next day and end fast.

Doing my first fast today - fast started at 1800h last night, only had 100 cals today, saving rest for tea , which will fill me till tomorrow morning. A little hungry now but not long till dinner which is 2 haddock fish cakes 225 cals each and a large salad 32 cals and 16 cals worth of dressing. Total 598.

Been on a 1500 cal a day diet for a couple of weeks , so looking forward to not counting cals tomorrow!
26 Sep 2013, 21:13
That sounds like a good plan marco. Good luck! :)
5 posts Page 1 of 1