The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

15 posts Page 1 of 1
5:2 without a Gallbladder?
19 Sep 2013, 18:09
My friend got an operation several years ago to remove a Gallbladder - she had a stone there. Seeing the small body transformations that I have, she wants to try 5:2 for weight loss and health benefits. I told her to ask her doctor and he is OK with this but - he told her that she probably, won't lose any.
From Wikipedia: " When food containing fat (and amino acids) enters the digestive tract, it stimulates the secretion of cholecystokinin (CCK) from I cells of the duodenum and jejunum. In response to CCK, the adult human gallbladder, which stores about 50 millilitres (1.7 U.S. fl oz; 1.8 imp fl oz) of bile, contracts and releases its contents into the duodenum. The bile, originally produced in the liver, emulsifies fats in partly digested food.
During storage in the gallbladder, bile becomes more concentrated which increases its potency and intensifies its effect on fats.
In 2009, it was proposed that the gallbladder can produce several pancreatic hormones, including insulin.[5]
"

It looks that GB plays important role with fat digesting, maybe that's why her doctor was not impressed.

So, I promised her that I'd ask forum because people here know better.

Are there people with removed Gallbladder who successfully lost weight?
Re: 5:2 without a Gallbladder?
19 Sep 2013, 18:19
I had my gall bladder removed when I was 25. (I am now 61) Since then I have been on diets too numerous to mention! Since January I have been doing 5:2 and my weight is going down! I have had no problems with 5:2, 16:8 or even 36 hour fasts. Some weeks I lose a couple of pounds, other times just one pound! Recently, I have been up and down the same pounds but that was MY fault as I have been less careful and probably drinking and eating too much over the summer holidays! However, I am now back on track and hope to go into the next category of being overweight and not obese any more.
Slow and steady loss seems to be the way for me.
19 Sep 2013, 18:29
I don't have a gallbladder either - it doesn't seem to stop me losing weight. I've been doing 5 2 since June and am down by 8+kg, 2 dress sizes and INCHES and INCHES. Tell your friend to go for it! Good luck :-)
19 Sep 2013, 19:49
I don't have a gallbladder, and I'm doing 5:2 and I'm losing weight. I'm a slow loser, but :victory: I'm still in the downward trend mode. This seems to be the first thing that is doing this for me, as I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm a healthy eater and I also exercised quite a bit and didn't seem to lose any weight, no matter how I tried. Now with 5:2, I've lost at least 16 pounds, and 4 inches around my waist! I did start very slowly, not sure if that's the missing gallbladder, menopause, or something else... but it's been worth it to me to hang in there. :clover: to your friend.
19 Sep 2013, 19:50
Great post :heart: and thanks for the answers as my friend is also ready to start this WOL :clover: Sue. :clover:
19 Sep 2013, 23:47
:clap: Thank you everybody! My friend is eager to try it now!She tells that tomorrow will be the day! :high5:
20 Sep 2013, 00:08
Never stopped me from losing weight. I am a slow loser but I also have PCOS, I am only 4'11" so my maintenance calories are not that high.
20 Sep 2013, 04:21
Yanicka1, if this is your picture, I am speechless....Are you sure that you need to lose weight? Just a beautiful body! :like: :like:
20 Sep 2013, 06:16
Hi, I have no gallbladder and have lost 25lbs since starting 5:2 about 4 months ago. The only problem I have is that I have an extremely bad stomach the day after fasting and I'm not sure if its down to my lack of gallbladder or not. But the weight loss doesn't seem to be a problem. Good luck to your friend :)
20 Sep 2013, 08:09
I had my gallbladder removed in March 2013. In the 6 months up to that date I'd been calorie counting and exercising and lost 2 stone. It's taken me a further 6 months to lose another stone counting calories.
I started 5:2 on Sunday and also did yesterday. I am hoping it will work well as I'm not finding it difficult so far. Though i have cheated a bit due to being on a train for 10 hours sunday, so no access to the fridge, and having surgery yesterday, so couldnt eat beore op anyway! Will let you know how it goes when I get weighed tomorrow x
20 Sep 2013, 08:29
Coops81. Exactly the same as me. I had GB removed 3 years ago and I am 54. In 3 months on 5:2 I have lost 26lb but do still have to rush to the toilet sometimes and I'm not sure if it's the diet or the lack of GB! However, it's working, albeit slowly now,
20 Sep 2013, 09:21
I don't have a gallbladder either and have had no problems on the diet.

My doctor is just happy I'm dieting :D

Found this NHS info on gallbladders:-

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Laparoscopiccholecystectomy/Pages/Introduction.aspx

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/2443.aspx?categoryid=51&subcategoryid=168
20 Sep 2013, 09:25
Me too, gallbladder out 6 years ago. Just don't eat pastry at all since the op, doesn't suit me digestion wise..
21 Sep 2013, 00:18
benchurki wrote: Yanicka1, if this is your picture, I am speechless....Are you sure that you need to lose weight? Just a beautiful body! :like: :like:

Oh thank you. I hold most of my weight in my lower body ( typical pear shape) I am trying to see if I could finally shift the fat in my legs but I do not wish to lose more than 5 pounds.
21 Sep 2013, 00:26
My gallbladder was removed several years ago. Started 52 April 15 now down 28 pounds with no negative effects.
15 posts Page 1 of 1