The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

14 posts Page 1 of 1
I am 5ft 8ins and my friend is 5ft 4 ins and we should have the same calorie intake? Should your frame/height/build vary just a bit? Should my smaller friends have less or should I have more? Just a thought. Especially with men who can vary in height from 5'5" to 6'5"
Hmm, good point. Although I try to never go over 400 'just in case'.
Not really sure though?
With true fasting you really shouldn't have anything but water, but having some calories makes it more bearable. It's still just a guideline IMO.
Lil :heart:
I agree a "guideline". Although technically it is suppose to be 25% of your TDEE. If you populate the tracker, it will actually tell you what 25% is specifically for you:)
But some people have a TDEE of over 2000, is that still the case then?
Yes. My TDEE is about 2200, so by 25% is 550. This is based on my 10,000 steps a day. Take away the extra for walking and my TDEE drops to about 1800...obviously, since my weight loss is slow, I must be eating around the 2200 calorie mark. Honestly, while I don't track my calories, I often mentally calculate how much I've had for the day.

Funny share off topic. Looked on the back of a bag of candy corn...960 calories...a bargain. Can eat it and still have two meals. Gosh, I can't resist candy corn and it is popping up everywhere for Halloween!
What is candy corn? I'm English and I'm guessing we call it something else.
LilSmiler wrote: What is candy corn? I'm English and I'm guessing we call it something else.

They are the most disgustingly sickly sweet sweets you can imagine. You aren't missing anything. :wink:
Candy corn is a piece of triangle candy colored orange and yellow. It is sugar and corn syrup. Absolutely not healthy in any shape or form. You either love it or think it is sickenly sweet. Unfortunately, it calls my name...over and over.
I thought 25% of TDEE is too low and could cause the body's metabolism to switch...
Oh I am so interested to try!
You only do the 25% on the two fast days. I know 5:2 goes against everything we've heard over the years about reduce your calories every day, eat more mini meals. What I know for me is that the book made sense, there are other reports that support the idea of reasonable fasting, and I've found this WOE to be the easiest weight loss program ever. I can hardly wait to reach my goal and have blood tests.
Lady Muck wrote: I thought 25% of TDEE is too low and could cause the body's metabolism to switch...

I'm a bit puzzled.. what amount are you having on fast days then?
GoLinda wrote: You only do the 25% on the two fast days. I know 5:2 goes against everything we've heard over the years about reduce your calories every day, eat more mini meals. What I know for me is that the book made sense, there are other reports that support the idea of reasonable fasting, and I've found this WOE to be the easiest weight loss program ever. I can hardly wait to reach my goal and have blood tests.

Duh me! Reading your explanation made me realise I had mis-read the previous post. :doh:

Totally agree with you on the easy of 5:2. And I love that it is flexible and prepares you for eating right when the fat has gone. I don't have to say "I can't, I can't ...because I'm on a diet". It will take a long time to get to my target weight but I know this will get me there and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, keep me there! :victory:

Now just to get through this fast day. ;)
Drink some warm tea:)
14 posts Page 1 of 1