The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

3 posts Page 1 of 1
After a couple year break from the Fast diet, I am back again. I was fine the first three times fasting but on the fourth day the following week, I had a super hard time getting through the day and ended up just eating my regular diet from about 1pm onward and called in a fail.
How is everyone else doing on Fast days? when you get hungry do you find it easier to stay away from eating until dinner time?
I was going to chuck it and look for some other method to lose weight but thinking of doing the fast tomorrow (Monday) :?:
Hi @Ceece and welcome back. I think it takes a few weeks to adjust back into this regime. I came back properly in January this year and am now well back into the swing of it. I don't eat anything on fast days until around 6 or 7 pm as I find if I start eating I get hungry and often start eating normally. However there are many who have success with an eating window of between maybe 12.00 and 8 pm each day so perhaps that would suit you better.
The great thing about this WOL/WOE is that is is completely flexible and you just have to experiment and find what works best for you.
My top tips for surviving a fast day are:
Just tea, coffee and water all day until around 6.30 pm and I drinks LOTS of water - at least one glass each hour. Some people like to make a big jug of water with mint leaves and lemon and lime slices in and sip on that all day
Be prepared. Have a 500 calorie dinner planned and stick to it. For me it has to be something I like and would normally eat. My favorites are zucchini pasta with an avocado and basil pesto, tomatoes and shallots; veggie burger with a tomato, coriander, avocado, onion mango salsa; a big bowl of roasted veggies with feta. I am a vegetarian/sometimes vegan and it amazing how many veggies you can get on a plate for your calories, even allowing some high calorie avocado Most people find sticking to a lowish carb meal works best for them
Go for a walk at lunchtime - it distracts me from the lunch time hungries and the extra steps have got to be a good thing
Check in here often and contribute to the "Fasting Today" thread - knowing that others are out there doing the same as you will give you the encouragement to keep going.
Remember that you are only going to be hungry for a few minutes and if you can get through that you will be fine. Years ago I gave up smoking and it was a similar thing - just getting through the craving for 5-10 minutes was the challenge and then it passed (until the next time!)
Treat your self to something. If you aren't at work then go to the movies, have a manicure, meet a friend, take a bubble bath.... anything that gets you through the hard patch

Good luck and keep us updated with your progress. There are so many inspirational people on here who have successfully lost weight and kept it off.
I had a hard time fasting when I came back too. I just don't make it all day very well anymore. So, I have been trying 16:8. I haven't had a lot of success with it yet, but I'm still working on it. When possible I try to do a 7 hour window instead of 8 and I plan to start cutting back on my carbs. I also usually have one very low calorie day, but still start it around noon!
But, you might still be able fast and just have to get used to it again. Maybe try one day a week and then work up to 2.
Like Pilchards said, you have to find which eating method works best for you!
3 posts Page 1 of 1